Check out this race in Austria!

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Check out this race in Austria!

Post by cladoo »

Last edited by cladoo on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

If you're wondering what Travis Pastrana has been doing lately, we spotted a report on mxlarge.com that he spent the weekend in Austria racing in what could be the toughest one-day off-road race in the world, the Red Bull Hare Scramble in Erzberg, Austria.

According to MX Large, "Pastrana finished 17th after leading through the early stages and loosing his front brake soon. The American Suzuki rider, who had impressed everyone in qualifying, would run into more problems with his radiator while crossing the deadly rock section.

"Riding a Suzuki RM250, Pastrana finished his qualifier seven seconds behind home rider Werner Müller (KTM EXC525), who crossed the finish line after 9:46.59 minutes. Kurt Nicoll came third aboard a revolutionary two-wheel driven KTM.

"The race was held under miserable weather conditions and stopped after a snow storm set in shortly before the closing four-hour mark. Only 34 out of 500 starters arrived to the finish line.

"The Erzberg Rodeo is a three-day affair - and one of the biggest and toughest motorsport events in the Alps. On Friday and Saturday a field of 1,500 racers is trimmed down to 500 via two 13.5-kilometer sprint races up the hill to the top of the Erzberg mountain. Sunday sees the prestigious Red Bull Hare Scramble going underway, an Extreme Enduro of the most difficult kind. While the prologue is held on large access roads, the Hare Scramble is offering a much more challenging path to the mountain top. The organisers expect not more than a dozen riders to finish the race."

Germany´s Christian Pfeiffer won aboard a GasGas EC300. He reached the top of the Erzberg Mountain "after 1.5 hours of incredibly hard work, repeating his victory from previous years. The former national Trial Champ and renowned motorcyle stuntman had arrived to the scene of his success only on Sunday morning after having been seeded into the event with a wildcard."

Finnish Enduro legend Juha Salminen (who will join the U.S.-based Grand National Cross Country Series in 2005) claimed runner-up, a distant five minutes behind Pfeiffer.

According to MX Large, KTM boss Kurt Nicoll raced a prototype two-wheel-drive KTM but couldn´t take it to the mountaintop. An overheated engine meant retirement for the Brit after 10 of 15 checkpoints. "The hydraulic front wheel drive allows consideraly higher corner speeds, especially when exiting the turns," explained Nicoll. "Although we are struggling a bit with suspension setup, we are more than happy with the performance."

As for Pastrana, he was also set to perform in a freestyle motocross exhibition yesterday with Kenny Bartram and Ronnie Renner, but the terrible weather caused the cancellation of the jumping

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

cladoo very sweet video, now that race would be a blast to try. Just have to save up some money to fly me and my bike down to Austria for the weekend oh maybe the girlfriend too. :banghead:

The begining also made me want to get a helmet cam again. I found a few on ebay for about 200 bucks, I got the camera already so I might as well get a helmet cam that would be sweet footage, especially when I get dirtboy doing some gymnastics over the bars. :blah:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BigD wrote: especially when I get dirtboy doing some gymnastics over the bars. :blah:
Hey, that was a private show !! :party: