H/S and Cross Country Schedule

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

H/S and Cross Country Schedule

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I have been looking at this schedule and have been trying to find info on the local races listed there. The club promoting the races are just listed as acronyms and I can find any info on them. Any tips on where to go to find info on the different races?

I may be interested in going and maybe even trying one or more out. I am very new to dirtbikes(Last half of the summer last year, is my one and only experience on a kind of dirt bike EVER!!!), but it sure does sound fun!

My KTM 250EXC is very forgiving of my inexperience though. So I treated to a new;y rebuilt engine and some basic maintenance parts and I am ready for a new season!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: H/S and Cross Country Schedule

Post by dirtyboy »

Dakota_c69 wrote:I have been looking at this schedule and have been trying to find info on the local races listed there. The club promoting the races are just listed as acronyms and I can find any info on them. Any tips on where to go to find info on the different races?
Glenn,

I"m not sure what schedule you are looking at. I'll assume http://www.albertadirtriders.com/schedule2005.htm

The Alberta Dirt Riders will post exact directions on their web site prior to each race. Look under the Hare Scramble / Cross Country >> Upcoming Events. http://www.albertadirtriders.com/hareevents.htm Currently there is nothing listed but it will come.

Someone else asked me about the first race at West Sharpless:

West Sharpless is part of the Porcupine Hills South of Calgary. It is accessed by traveling East from Hwy 22 at the Maycroft bridge ( a few Km North of the #3)

Last year they had a huge Easter egg hunt for the kids on Sunday morning and the race course was good but with a bit of ice in a few places.

Also Porcupine Hills is in the same area, however it is usually accessed West from the #2 just North of the #3. Both of these races are a little less than 2 hours from Calgary.

If you want to know about any more, please ask. :cheers:

By the way, when I first started HS racing, I decided not to race anyone. Just to ride the course. I didn't know any of the riding areas so I just wanted to explore. During the parade lap of my first race, I decided that after about 10 minutes into the 30 or 40 minutes lap that without the race course being marked, I'd be back at the truck already trying not to get lost. I was pretty beat after the parade lap and the race was about to start.

I decided to line up on the start line and wait for my class to go ahead before I proceeded. I just tried to ride the course and keep going. Lap after lap, I realized that the entry fee was cheap for the fun that I was having, riding way over the hills into the backcountry, having someone to help me out if I broke down, and not getting lost. I just kept riding until the race was done. I noticed a few guys stopping on their bikes to chat and watch the bikes go by. That just made me ride faster. A few of the pros lapped me near the end. I didn't know anyone could go so fast down a steep hill through tight trees. I had the brakes on and they had the throttle on. What a site! 2 hours was quite a ride for me. Once finished, I packed up and went home being a little shy and not knowing anyone there. Well, I was hooked on this "new" form of racing. :banana: A few races later, I got to talking to a guy I raced against that first race. He informed me that he passed me near the end for 2nd place and that I got 3rd place. Sure enough, I had to make arrangements to pick up my left over trophy.

Moral is, slow and steady works and sticking around for the awards can be surprising. Most of us are very friendly and love to chat for a bit after the race with a wobbly pop. :cheers:

Edited on February 23, 2005
Last edited by dirtyboy on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Don't you mean Maycroft?

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cladoo wrote:Don't you mean Maycroft?
I knew it started with M :bonk:

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Some of the dates for the H/S are over 2 days...ie the one this March 26/27.

Do they have a practice day first before the race? or just break up the groups over 2 days?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Typically the kids, women and sportsman classes run on the Saturday. All the other classes are run on Sunday. Sometimes the races run on Saturday utilize parts of the Sunday course and sometimes they do not. On Sundays there are sometimes two races run. Juniors, Vet B and super vet run in the morning and Intermediate/Vet A and Experts run in the afternoon.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Thanks Knuckle

So if I were to race Junior would I have to be there on Sat or could you just show up and register and race on Sunday?

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Sunday is fine. If the race is far from you it can make for a real early day. Typically sign in ends at (9:00 or 10:00pm. Parade lap starts soon after. Everyone is accomodating though as I have signed in while the parade lap was on and they let in!