Big Sky Montana XC

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Big Sky Montana XC

Post by Brent »

This is a race that I've always really wanted to be a part of...but usually just can't make it. There is a small chance I might make it for this weekend...so I'm trying hard for this one again. The last 2 years looked amazing. So who is making the trip? I noticed that Xtinction crew had it advertised on their web page so maybe some of the boys are going down?

check out www.bigskyxc.com
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Big Sky Montana XC

Post by thirtyseven »

I am laying the groundwork to race down there next yr, Brent. I've been wanting to go for a couple of yrs too, this year was too busy.
The plan for next yr is to do some hillclimbing lessons with you and shredder, (thanks in advance) takle the Xtinction qualifier, and if I don't mangle myself or the bike too bad, go to BigSky. :thumbsup:
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

thirtyseven wrote:I am laying the groundwork to race down there next yr, Brent. I've been wanting to go for a couple of yrs too, this year was too busy.
The plan for next yr is to do some hillclimbing lessons with you and shredder, (thanks in advance) takle the Xtinction qualifier, and if I don't mangle myself or the bike too bad, go to BigSky. :thumbsup:
I was going to try and make this one, but Brenan225 took himself out in a snowshoeing accident, then they changed the Porkies H/S and the stars fell out of alignment.

I am going to try my best next year to make it.

I am planning on hitting the PNWMA double header near Penticton in October though :thumbsup:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Well I've got it booked into my floating race schedule but work demands over ride race weekends, so I would say it's 85% guaranteed. 37, I think a hill climbing clinic would be a lot of fun. we'll have to figure out something one of these days. Something like, the best climber of the day gets his tab covered at BP's...and maybe biggest crash gets a free pint of draft and a handful of peanuts or something along those lines.
snowshoeing crash?? man that goes back probably a month to snowshoeing season, so that's old news.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Brent wrote:snowshoeing crash?? man that goes back probably a month to snowshoeing season, so that's old news.
one would think so......

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

How bout this Brent, first one to cry like a baby gets free ribs, but has to wear a diaper into the restaraunt?

On second thought, I don't like ribs that much....

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

thirtyseven wrote:How bout this Brent, first one to cry like a baby gets free ribs, but has to wear a diaper into the restaraunt?

On second thought, I don't like ribs that much....
But ever since we hassled you about peeing mid-race while on the bike, you've been packing that diaper in your gear bag... Ummm... the diaper worn to the restaurant has to be a DRY one, right?! :D

D. :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Great weekend! My wife, 2 kids and I headed out friday at 5pm so we got into Big Sky at 3:30 in the morning. It's a little longer of a drive then I anticipated. We were up again at 7:30 to get Joah ready for his 50cc peewee race at 9:30. Joah was probably the only 5 year old out there, plus he was on a little pw 50 so I wasn't sure what to expect given the coarse had a few big uphills and a really rocky single track. It seamed like all the other kids were 7 or 8 years old and had the done up 50 cc racer bikes that could actually climb hills with rocks. Joah is used to doing little laps around a grassy field, so this coarse was all new terrain for him. With lots of help around the coarse and up the hills, he finished and said he was never doing that again...oops. I gotta get him on a bike that isn't geared for high speeds on flat roads. the pw 50 is a direct drive bike with no sprockets, so it can't climb hardly any hill but can do 80 kms/h on a flat road??
Sunday main event: after the morning classes spent 2 hours digging up all the talcum powder and putting it on top of the rocks, it was our turn to race. I have done lots of really dry dusty races, but none of them come close to this. all I could see was the helmet in front of me bouncing around in between the tops of trees. You couldn't see trail markers, logs, stumps, rocks or the fallen guy in front of you as he went under your foot pegs. All I new is that I did not want to be the fallen guy underneath the bike that was right behind me. You actually couldn't see what you were riding over even if you looked down below your foot pegs.
the first place guy pulled a huge lead as everyone else tried to ride blinded with your feet out in 1st gear, so it was super slow going for the first lap. By the mid way point of the second lap I had passed enough guys that I was sitting in 7th spot and had basically no dust to deal with, so then I could really start moving and get a good pace established. At the mid point of the 3rd lap I had caught the next group of guys in front of me and then I flatted my front tire and had to slow down a bit. I had a couple of close calls on some big down hills so I decided that it was no longer worth it to push anymore so I just cruised to the pits and took a break. My pit man Brandon encouraged me to go out for one more lap, so I rode the 4th lap with a flat front. I still got too pass a bunch of guys hung up in the rock garden as that was an uphill, but then had to let them all by once we turned around and did the down hills, so I figured I was just getting in the way and pulled out of the race coarse after that lap.
I have had good luck with HD tubes and 15 psi over the last year...this is my first flat in probably 12 races. I guess for higher speeds and tonnes of rock I will have to run 20 psi...I can't stand how bibs feel, plus they pound out on me in 2 races so I'm sticking to HD tubes. Maybe I'll run a front bib for special race occasions like this. Lots of fast dessert racers run 20-22 psi over bibs.
Kris Beers was on his new Berg 300 and looked good, he was running 3rd in his class (open A) when I last checked. Brandon (from Pincher) won his 200 C class on Saturday and Paul W from Pincher had a big crash into a tree, but I think still did quite well missing most plastic pieces from the front of his bike. There were a few other Albertan's out there, so all in all we had a great time in southern Montana.
This event was well put together and the coarse reminded me a lot like Blairemore with the rockiest section being the whole coarse. The rockiest area that we ride or race on is not that rocky...trust me.
There were lots of activities to do at the resort for the whole family, so our weekend family trip was a success for everyone.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

great report Brent. Sucks about the flat, sounds like you would have finished pretty good otherwise :thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Nice job!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Wow nice report. Sounds fun!

Zeal
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zeal »

Nice race report. Sounds like a solid event.
08 GasGas (That's the Brand fool!)
250 EC

#999 Int.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Thanks guys. I would highly recommend this race for one of the must do races for what ever your class is. this race was an excellent experience. I also highly recommend the Idaho City 100 2 day race as well for those of you that want to try a few new experiences.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC