Man Made Obstacles in H/S and X/C racing

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.

should we have man made obstacles in an ADRA H/S or X/C race?

Let'er buck, the skies the limit and a pilots license is easy to get
31%
only obstacles less than the size of the front tire of the bikes riding over them
32%
absolutely not, if I wanted to be a crowd pleaser I would race motocross
34%
I am not a racer, but love to come and watch people impale themselves on things and wreck their bikes
3%

Total votes: 65

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Man Made Obstacles in H/S and X/C racing

Post by twotired »

A race that is made to have people fail is no race for me! I hate failing and wouldn't return if this was what the races were all about.
I prefer to have both feet on the pegs, hands on the bars, and both wheels turning. Anything else isn't riding!

I think the Alberta offroad series is right on track as far as the difficulty level goes. I find the races challenging but doable and I'm definitely in the
lower half of the talent level of the racers that show up to the races here in our provincial series. If the races were easier I could go faster, but so could everyone.

The man made obstacles at Clint's race were a bit of a surprise to all of us that showed up, but they weren't really that dangerous or difficult in my opinion.
The whining and complaining that went on during the pre-race and parade lap was pretty lame though. One old guy loaded his bike and left! I had no problem
attempting the tires and felt pretty good after realizing that I could do them. I think that Clint was fully within his rights as a race organizer to add these obstacles
from his nifty little backyard playground.

Here's a quick run through the obstacles as seen from my point of view;

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

twotired wrote:One old guy loaded his bike and left!
That 'old guy' (a legend racer) just came off of a hip surgery.

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Okay...that's gnarly. I didn't know the total story, thought it was just from the "big scary tires" on the course. I'm questioning his being at a harescramble then in the first place. I went over the bars on the steep downhill on the back of the course...no tires involved, but maybe 'legends' don't do that? :excuse:

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

He's a pretty good legend, trust me. He didn't make a stink about it, he just loaded his bike and didn't race. Did not want to risk throwing his hip out I guess, and he's not the type of guy to not do the whole course. He'd rather not race, than go around the tires like howard did :smirk:

I think he even hung around and helped out on foot for the day if memory serves.

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

ryan1974 wrote:Once in a while I come and read this forum and I see people talking about races and how Clint's race was hard (especially with the tire section). My first race was in 1992 - a race put on by Brian Peirson called the 'Green Meanie' and it was a team race. It was my first race and it took me and two other riders 6 hours finish. Sweepers still had to come and get us. I kept racing until about 1998 and now I race about 1 or 2 events a year and ride when I can (not near as much back in those days). Back then if you didnt ride alot you didnt think about finishing a race - let alone trying to be in the top 3. I was never a top guy but I held in there. Now days the races are really tame - they are made so everyone can finish (as trailguy put). Back in those days Brian Peirson didnt want anyone to finish. Old livingstone, crowsnest races were pretty wild too.

So for now we should give Clint props for putting on races - if the tire section is the hardest part of the race we have it pretty easy. I had a hard time with the tires but I kept plugging away!
Good read Ryan. I remember racing some those Gnarly Green Meanie's, not for the weak of heart, never thought I'd bench press my dirt bike so many times in one day. :crazy:
What you mentioned about Brian not wanting anyone to finish his race was the mindset of all the race promoters back in the day.Butch (Brian's dad), Mel Scar, Bill Schultz, Dave Hough, Bidford brothers,Steve Hunt ,etc. These guys lived to see grown men turned into blubbering pieces of dog meat after quiting or being unable to finish one of their races.In my rookie XC season I thought it was stupid, but quickly realized if I wanted to race XC I was going to have to put up & shut up & for god's sake start lifting weights :smirk:
None of the hard core boys dared to put on a soft or easy race as their peers would heckle them for sure. :)
Ah the memories :canada: :D

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

steve-o wrote:He's a pretty good legend, trust me. He didn't make a stink about it, he just loaded his bike and didn't race. Did not want to risk throwing his hip out I guess, and he's not the type of guy to not do the whole course. He'd rather not race, than go around the tires like howard did :smirk:

I think he even hung around and helped out on foot for the day if memory serves.
I regret saying that, not too much thought put in there.
I'm getting very used to the taste of my own foot recently. :blush:
I shut up now.

Well...just one more thing. Maybe thirtyseven went around because he's afraid of heights. :excuse:
Now I shut up.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

We were required to try it every lap, and I did! And yes I'm afraid of heights!!! The little rattlesnake went over to the neighbors and asked the grandpa "my dad is a pilot, but he is afraid of heights, can you put up our Christmas lights?" he brought his ladder over and did it while I was at work, talk about emberassing!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

thirtyseven wrote: The little rattlesnake went over to the neighbors and asked the grandpa "my dad is a pilot, but he is afraid of heights, can you put up our Christmas lights?" he brought his ladder over and did it while I was at work, talk about emberassing!
I wonder if that scam will work on my neighbor :thinking:
The voices are back. Awesome!

riviere411

Post by riviere411 »

rivieres revenge WILL have the same if not more man made obstacles as last year. There will be an easy out around the tire wall, hope that satisfies the people who spend time on the computer rather than working on their riding skills. When I learned to race in the early 90,s I looked up to the hardass organizeres like Brian Pearson, Dave French, and Ziggy, because there races were usually brutal and if you finished you had reason to be proud, in my opinion the racers from that era started as juniors in the 90's are some of the best Alberta has had to offer. I'm not going to name names but we have top 10's from Erzberg, Romaniacs, Last man standing Xtiction and U.S Endurocross as well as multiple six days finisher and WEC championships. The next generation of kids coming up will continue or more likely exceed these accomplishments. Why? Because our races are HARD! you don't get better going around obstacles you get better by practicing them! Don't have a tire wall at home? ride up a dirt cliff its the same technique only its not made of rubber. Does Bader put in easy outs in the porkies when it rains? Was there an easy out down university drive in the Racehoarse XC? was there an easyout in the wiggle trees in the dirty moose? NO NO and NO! Quit your Fing whining, if the 40 and 30 B riders are doing all the complaining and don't like hard races, stay home and let the young riders race, be challenged and have fun......see you on the 13....or not.

oldguy
User
User

Post by oldguy »

Awesome Clint!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The advance notice of what will be in the race course is awesome. I think it is all about expectations. Thank you for taking the time to post riviere411. :thumbsup:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Clint, is there any riding on your property on the Saturday? (after the kid races). Thanks, just wondering if it is worth heading down Sat and camping.
:cheers:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Spinalguy wrote:Clint, is there any riding on your property on the Saturday? (after the kid races). Thanks, just wondering if it is worth heading down Sat and camping.
:cheers:
you might want to phone him or email him.. I don't think there is.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

There is a FLUZ just west of the site for riding in. Mostly quad type designated trails but I'd like to ride there sometime.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

riviere411 wrote:rivieres revenge WILL have the same if not more man made obstacles as last year. There will be an easy out around the tire wall, hope that satisfies the people who spend time on the computer rather than working on their riding skills. When I learned to race in the early 90,s I looked up to the hardass organizeres like Brian Pearson, Dave French, and Ziggy, because there races were usually brutal and if you finished you had reason to be proud, in my opinion the racers from that era started as juniors in the 90's are some of the best Alberta has had to offer. I'm not going to name names but we have top 10's from Erzberg, Romaniacs, Last man standing Xtiction and U.S Endurocross as well as multiple six days finisher and WEC championships. The next generation of kids coming up will continue or more likely exceed these accomplishments. Why? Because our races are HARD! you don't get better going around obstacles you get better by practicing them! Don't have a tire wall at home? ride up a dirt cliff its the same technique only its not made of rubber. Does Bader put in easy outs in the porkies when it rains? Was there an easy out down university drive in the Racehoarse XC? was there an easyout in the wiggle trees in the dirty moose? NO NO and NO! Quit your Fing whining, if the 40 and 30 B riders are doing all the complaining and don't like hard races, stay home and let the young riders race, be challenged and have fun......see you on the 13....or not.
Clint, Whats a race season without a good whining session???? We all just got it out of our system early last year!!!! :crazy: For all interested it is a great way to start the year!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS