Second Gear Club , MESS UP of " Sportsman Division "

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
thegoose

Second Gear Club , MESS UP of " Sportsman Division "

Post by thegoose »

Can’t help but rant a little here so please hear me out,,

This past long weekend my son and I headed to Fallen Timber for the much anticipated hare scramble “ Moose Mountain “ put on by the Second Gear Club.

I always race in the Sportsman’s division as I “ have to go to work the next day “ , “ pay the mortgage” whereby I really only race to enjoy my time away from the real world and to spend time with my dirt bike enthused son of 13 years.

This wasn’t to be my first race as I do participate in Corner Grass ( for the last three years ) and although I do consider myself a beginner I do / did place in the top ten at the Compeer Carnage ( as I call it, again in the Sportsman’s division )

I have taken part in Jay’s riding school and take pride in the fact that every time I ride at Jay’s I try to conquer another obstacle and I hope to, with a little more practice, be racing the smaller obstacle course at next years event. My son, although smaller in physical size, is just about on par with his old man in skill

Keeping that in mind we signed up for “ Sportsman ” and awaited our parade lap.

I was shocked at the riders meeting to find out that there was only the one loop ( 11km long ) and we were all riding it ,,, the PRO’S , EXPERTS, the VET’S , the SUPER VETS and that the only difference was as a Sportsman we were to ride for one hour whereas some of the others rode for two.

WTF!!!!!!!

So off we go,, fun , fun fun, for the first 1/4 of the loop, some creek crossings ( never did that before ) more creek crossings ( again fun ) :applause: then it got stupid ,, real stupid, muskeg sections, stupid slippery hill climbs, hard technical sections, all above the ability of your average “ Sportsman’s Division “ participant.

Kudos to the sweepers as they were the only reason we made it through the parade lap. I was embarrassed to say to one sweeper “ I never realized I was this poor a rider and told him of my participation at Corner Grass,, of which gathered a reply ” Corner Grass isn’t a real race “.

My son and I made it through the parade lap and that was enough, my son and I both took some hard falls and broke some plastic, yet I was extremely pissed not at myself or the new found condition of our bikes but rather at the Second Gear Club.

I saw this to be nothing more than laziness on behalf of the SGC, one loop for all !!. I realize the effort that goes into putting on such a race but to map out one loop and put everyone on it was stupid :thumbsdown: . Jay for instance changes the course to suit the ability of the division racing on it, however with this hare scramble it was not the case.

I met and spoke with at least 15 people whom shared my feelings over this, some simply quit the race and packed up there (I can't type without swearing. The word that I used is one of GC's 7 words that you can not say on television.) and left.

I simply have a hard time thinking that a club supporting” family environment “ would do something so idiotic.

Later that day after probably realizing there mistake they offered a make up race on the kid’s loop. WOW that was fun,, all in all I thought the event was poorly run, waste of money and with all likelihood my last Second Gear Club Event.

I have quoted there division outline for you perusal

“ Sportsman closed-to-club class is designed for the first time or beginner level racer.  This is an advancing class to the main CMA sanctioned event.  This is an opportunity for riders to compare their abilities to other riders and to learn how to follow a course and the skills that differentiate between trail riding and racing.  The smaller classes are also less intimidating and they have the comfort of extra sweepers to help them out on the trail if they need it “

Ah that feels better, perhaps if you were there could you please post your thoughts

Kindest Regards

The Goose

KanadianIceMan
Journalist
Journalist

Re: Second Gear Club , MESS UP of " Sportsman Division "

Post by KanadianIceMan »

Im sorry to hear you feel this way goose.

This course was flagged by the CMC & was only facilitated & managed (scorekeeping, signup, awards, sponsors) by the SGMC. SGMC had nothing to do with the flagging.

Almost all races of sportsman are held on the same closed course as the main day CMA Race, which have novices, vets, supervet (50+) Legends (60+) on the SAME course as the Pros & experts. At signup & riders meeting this is explained where you are racing & for how long. We simply offer the class at a later time as sportsman have expressed they wish to race the same terrain & course, but without 70 other riders coming behind them, the class is considered novice/begininer, but without the stress of a schrage or cuthbertson coming behind you.

Additionally the Women run the exact same course (all of which said they loved this course & actually deflagged monday after the surreal amounts of rain that followed sunday night (which we also had a night race with 8 teams, in pouring rain & mud, which ironically i had a mini-senior who competed on saturday be my partner in the grossiest of terrain) The Mini-Seniors also road this exact same course with no issues, this is a small CC, youth class for the CMA. We are talking soaking wet 110lbs kids on TTR-125s, tough buggers.

This course was a cross-country layout, and not across virgin terrain, not out of the ordinary at all for what is normally flagged. Mclean creek races such as the CMRC harescramble on the east side are on similar rooty/slimey terrain and a little bit more technical than this due to mcleans water retention.

There were 2 fairly easy creek crossings, which the ttr 125s were doing easily.

This was a technical course, moreso because of the extremely wet conditions that hunter valley has been experiencing.

Yes there was ONE hillclimb, it was wet, and was a government quad trail with a rain run cut into the rocks. Pin it and lean back.

Skag for the inexperienced & experienced will eat your bike instantly, simply do not go in it gungho, stop, look & listen. If you hear a bike pinned, for heavens sake just ride around it. 5 extra seconds riding around is better than the 10 minuets trying to find your bike. Be smart. Most riders were going around the one skag field in the race & there was even an additional line cut to the side to allow novice/beginner riders an easy out. I actually never saw one rider stuck in the skag all race, and when I was passing novices I thanked them and they cheered me on, smiles and all.

Corner grass is on private land & a training facility. It is in a controlled environment with constants & done so to keep you safe. You must realize you are in the mountains. In no way should you compare cornergrass to any other race that is held on public land or in an open, changing environment such as the Rocky Mountains, I have left in +20c with a full tank of as & come back with frostbite on fumes during the night. Expect the unexpected & embrace it.

As for the event being poorly run, you are entitled to your own opinion & I respect that. As always anyone who rides 1 lap & packs it up, we thank them for their donation to our non-profit motorcycle club.

We had 110+ riders saturday & results were posted fairly quick with zero misses or furbared results. Sunday we had 15+ races and results 5 minuets after each race, With an additional night race with 8 teams of 2 doing a 1 hour course in pitch black. No riders were lost & everyone made it back to the fires. I thank the rockstar.

Please email me with comments as to how to run an event more smoothley - mitch@secondgearclub.com

I really hope to see you at another race, SGMC & CMC try to offer challenging races on new terrain & locations for all its competitors to enjoy, many racers love the course, some absolutely hate it, but in the end, they all come back because they have an itch to race.

I will tell you right now, the mclean creek harescramble is 25KM over cross-country terrain (the norm). Novice vet, supervet/womens are doing 2 hours, inter/exp/pro are doing 3 hours. We are bringing the old days back! Sportsman is up in the air, but you will feel like you have raced.

Cheers,

Mitch

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Hey, dude we've ALL had races like that. Where honestly you don't belong. There are only two responses you can have, pick up your ball and go home crying" it's not fair", or pick yourself up and determine you willbe better able to face the next challenge, and come out and help all the volunteers that put on the race.

The choice is yours.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

It's dirt biking not bowling! :redneck:
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

OK Folks let's keep it on track. Criticism was given and I think answered by a SGC representative. If this turns downhill I will lock the post. If you have something constructive to say, then go ahead but we don't need a peanut gallery on this post please.

Also I have edited the post because efforts were made to circumvent the word censor software on this site. This is a family site and swear words are not appropriate. In the future if you try to circumvent the word censor to post swearing I will delete the complete post or maybe do something less desirable to you.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Honestly I have a hard time giving real heavy criticism to any of the races being put on around here. Fact is you are dealing with VOLUNTEER efforts. Until you have been in those shoes I dont think anyone can really appreciate how much time/effort and yes VOLUNTEERS it takes to put on a race.

:cheers:

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

Ziggy runs all kinds of different classes to include everyone in their races the truth whoever was helping set up the trails probably just ran out of time or the terrian didn't offer any easier alternative.
My advice is to offer to help set up the coarse for the Sportman class then you can run it the way you want.
The reason why I wouldn't run the Vega race under the CMA is Ziggy and Rhonda try please everyone and just make one hell of a lot of work for them selves and who ever else is running the race. I like the CMRC because it is one adult race and your done and anyone that races knows that they are going to be racing for two hours and the courses are tough so be ready.
My hats off the Second Gear Club and anyone else that promotes the sport not with complaint but with hard work.

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

I have to admit that this struck a small chord with me so here it goes......

I am happy for you that you enjoy corner grass. It is a very good event, well organized and one heck of a good time. jay is a great fellow.

I am sorry you didnt enjoy the sgc moose event. I wasnt there, therefore I cant comment on its difficulty or anything alse regarding the course/organization, However.....

I help every year to put on a race in the south called the "crowsnest x country" known to many as a very difficult race. both me and my wife recall vomiting on the side of the trail during the annual event on more than one occasion or her story of finally coming in at trophy presentation at night after the event. Or Trudy doing the whole loop with one footpeg and no exhaust pipe. ask her how hard that was!!!!

My comment are as follows,

1. As motor ed states it takes many volunteer hours to put on an event. I agree 110%.

2. you cant please everyone that comes out to race at an event.

3. the organizers dont go out of their way to punish people( organizers other than Dave French). if they did they wouldnt have any riders the following year.

4. Maybe riding race pace with your elbows up, standing, on the pipe, 4th gear pinned, banging bars and destroying a set of handgaurds per race isnt your bag of tricks?????? have you thought of wednesday night guided rides perhaps? they are the best if you prefer to sight see.

5. not to discredit your concern about the sgc clubs post of being a family sport.......blah blah blah. i do agree it could be percieved to be a bit misleading but i am sure it is not their intention to harm anyone.

6. you say potato i say potato........(wait a second that doesnt work the same when its spelled out). zz top or zztop, zebra, zebra, tomato, tomato........ahhhh you get the point.

What im trying to say is you may like Honda's. I however like KTM/Husaberg. different stokes for diff folks. what one person percieves as hard jason schrage percieves as easy. get where im coming from?

I hope your experience doesnt sour you on the sport but may help you to become more educated on how some of these events are for some and maybe not others.

On that note please dont come to crowsnest......at least not to race! we would love to have you as spectators though!!!!

just kidding! come if you are up for a challenge. untill then please keep enjoying the sport. thats what its there for!

:thumbsup:

sorry one other thing, keep in mind.....a HARESCRAMBLE is supposed to be ONE loop for all. All classes to be ran at the same time. it is supposed to be NOT as hard as a x country but is up to the discretion of the organizer.

maybe the sportsman class at a X country might more be up your alley??

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

I understand what your saying,I've raced a couple of these & this was a hard HS loop for sure.As beginner racers we've all been through this - its almost like a hazing.The Rockies can be gnarly, so you are going to get these races from time to time.I hope what you can take from this race is your next race is probably going to seem easier [unless your racing the Crowsnest XC].When you get to your next tough race it will get easier the more you ride this terrain.Try & get out to the Guided Rides, it will give you some great singletrack experience.Hope you are going to race again goose. :canada:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

My first race...
Riviere's Revenge. 2005.
Some guys i met riding suggested i should race. i did. i traveled South to Pincher Creek. It had rained for maybe 48 hours prior to the race. At least that is what i heard :crazy:
My riding acquaintance suggested i do Vet Jr and not Beginner as that would be wussying out :lol: (you know whats funny? i never saw one of those guys at that race :thinking: ) Dobi (current RMDRA pres) was also there attending his first race but i think he went Beginner :smirk:
Anyways...it started raining as we left the starting line. That course was TOUGH!!!!! There were things i did that i would NEVER do pleasure riding. Actually, there are a few on this site that had ridden my bike up things, over things that i refused to TRY :blush: on pleasure rides, but as this was a race...i HAD to.
i was terrified as the soil was like an ice rink. i hit the ground 11 times. It sucked. As a 41 yr old, my body hurt.

The course got so unrideable that some of the Pros quit the race to help organizers close entire sections.
Did i mention i fell many times?

i FINISHED!!! i may have been last, i can't remember.

i drove home and had to call my wife to come to the garage to help me get out of my truck. The next day, i went to work on crutches.
i am a Chiropractor. My patients wondered...
i told my wife i would never race again. i wasn't mad at the race organizers, i wasn't mad at any club, i was mad at myself for being a PATHETIC rider...errr...racer.
My riding acquaintances told me to race again to challenge myself, not worry about where i ended up. i did notice that i was willing to go up and down stuff that i never dreamed possible because of being FORCED to in that race. My riding improved too.

Flash forward to 4 years later and i get to the PODIUM 5 times :thumbsup: i honestly never would become the rider i am today without racing.

My advise is to continue challenging yourself by racing.
And most importantly listen to Dirt TV and get to those Guided Rides. You will become a better and more confident rider.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

My first race Rennie Turner asked my how it went. I complained about all the wet roots then she asked me if I would like her to go out and dry them off for me. That's when I realized that I better suck it up.

golarge
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by golarge »

(can't please everyone) I thought it was quite easy. Nothing to get BugEyed about around the whole 13km. Very tight in most places, felt like a Pinball bouncing off the tree's, but a good course.
Yup. Got a new one.

thegoose

Post by thegoose »

Although taken back by some of the comments I did give some thought to many of the replies.

There is this notion that because I didn’t volunteer for service I don’t have a right to technically a female pooch, as if I have never supported x country racing, hare-scrambles or the like.

I hate to disappoint you but I do volunteer work not only in my chosen line of profession but also within the very dirt biking community which chastises me here.

Corner Grass
My son and I fought off bird like mosquitoes to be part of the crew that whipper snipped both obstacle courses and the bales which surround the grass track a week prior to the actual race day.

Race Day
I manned both the pro and smaller obstacle courses helping the racers with their fallen bikes after missed attempts. From the first moto to the last.

Sponsorship
My bill for sponsorship of just this years Corner Grass race reached the $ 3000.00 mark. Sponsorship fees for the races of which have already occurred and those coming up will have me hitting approximately $ 6000.00 by seasons end.

So not only do I understand the power and spirit of volunteerism and what can be accomplished by it, I also understand the need of financial sponsorship to make all of these event successful. I have played a roll in each.

As I signed up for the SGC and the Moose Mountain hare scramble I was not made aware that I was running the same loop as Shane , Jason and the rest of the more advanced riders. It wasn’t until the race meeting 11:30 AM that this info was shared with me, of which the parade lap immediately followed. Had I known earlier I would not have signed up and I wouldn’t be here typing this.

I guess the question that nobody wishes to reply to is; as a beginner racer stated by my Sportsman designation, given to me by SGC after explaining my skill set level , match the loop I was asked to race on? Did the SGC follow there own mission statement which reads as quoted directly from there own web site:

Mission:
To coordinate and provide competitive and recreational opportunities for all ages to enjoy off-road motor sports at a level appropriate to their ability and interest.

I was not there as a CMA rider ( told not to join by a SGC member as I didn’t need it to race “ Sportsman “ ) I am not CMRC ( I understand they are even harder ) I was on the start line of the parade lap as a SGC member nothing more and nothing less.

So 1 hr and half later I finished the the parade lap (11km in 1 1/2 hours) kept you all waiting , that felt good ( in an embarrassing way ), and I didn’t even bother to join the group for the start, nope simply rode back to my campsite to see how much damage the tree sticking out of my rad had done.

So now in the eyes of many I am a pussy, bitchin about the loop, “ everyones else did it “ so shut up and stop whining,,, “ you didn’t volunteer for course set up “. Nope I didn’t and I didn’t lie about my skill set either.

I have never asked for my race fees / membership back nor will I, the SGC can keep my donation to there “ non for profit organization “, but I will not be a return member either

The club offers me nothing as a beginner,, I can’t compete .., even with the abundance of trails at Fallen they were unable to find a loop to remotely match my skill set. If this loop was as stated as matching my skill level how can your guided rides be any easier.

Enjoy your club, you all seem like very accomplished riders

Respectfully

The Goose

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Goose please don't confuse sgc with rmdra. The rmdra has guided rides etc and they are tailored in a loose fun way for the caliber of rider that shows up. You do have to be a member to attend and you must be able to endure the greatest colection of misfits, loosers, hamfisted hords of halfwits this side of the federal liberals. Having said this most guides of all levels usually have teeth missing, flies buzzing aroung their heads and use the "guided ride" as an excuse to check on their stills. You'll hear frequent referances to "safety" (don't smoke around an active still) "camelback" (a means of transporting moonshine) "Italian rattlesnake" ("protection"), "insurance" (some form of being unlawfully held, ok ok kidnapped). You get the general drift.

In regards to your race experience, hopfully you can see that the vast majority of us have a very very similar experience to yours. We have all been spanked hard by racing. And I'm sure the oraganuzer didn't mean to push you to the brink... Some times it is tough to find some thing for everyone, believe me there are no easy trails left in fallen timber.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

More often than not after I do a rant I realize I was kinda out to lunch. I thik what you really wanted here was to just blow off some steam and maybe, just maybe, in reality say holy sludge that was hard but I made it!

It was super hard for you, you finished the parade lap with an admitted sense of accomplishment.

If you weren't happy you have the choice and right to not do it again which you have made. Too bad, you'd probably find it easier and easier each time you raced there after and might even find a sick sense of enjoyment about it as the rest of the racers do.

That being said if you are looking for something different and at a totally easy pace please join the RMDRA and come out for the guided rides held most every Wednesday. State your beginner level and I'm sure that you wil be more than able to keep up and enjoy the ride with other like minded dirtbikers. There are several different groups of increasing skill levels that attend the GR program, so as your skills do improve over time you'll already know all the riders and will be able to advance into the appropriate skill level group.

Have a good weekend!