Should CMRC Off Road races enforce the 100db rule ??

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.

Should the Alberta CMRC Off road races enforce the 100db maximum sound rule?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 18

BRPCam
User
User

Post by BRPCam »

I hope it's trail legal. For what it took to get the bike street legal :crazy: . It has a spark arrester and of course working lights etc. I'm very nice about roosting people as I think it is rude. I love adventure riding after all that is what I got the bike for. So I am fun to ride with and am up for anything. Speaking of trenches, it's very hard on tires. I have burnt a brand new tire off in a weekend. I'm talking knobs missing and cords showing. This is from riding really fast on gravel and normal trails in there too but.... I can't believe how hard that is on tires. You always know where I've been though (2" trench) as the bike only does 85mph (stock gearing) on gravel as it is spinning at a constant 20mph the whole time the throttle is open. :wall: I like that wall, I didn't know it was there or it's potential use untill you used it. Nice..... Later

Cam
01 BRP (XR680R) cammed, 11:1, pro curcuit exaust with spark arrestor of course :) , Clarke 16.3l tank, 15/47 Ironman Sprokets

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I thought that might get a response from you :D

We'll see what we can do, after all I'm on a "poof" bike and don't really like to go fast. Hense my favorite trails are quite tight and twisty in the trees and I'm happiest in 3rd gear there.

Heck, my bike disrupts very little more than a trials bike would do. Almost all of my power gets to the ground without much wheel spinning.

I used to ride a 125 when my riding buddy had a 490. I learned how to duck real fast, however I always wondered why he kept the bike when he always asked to ride my bike and then never wanted to give it back. :jump:

BRPCam
User
User

Post by BRPCam »

dirtboy wrote:I thought that might get a response from you :D

We'll see what we can do, after all I'm on a "poof" bike and don't really like to go fast. Hense my favorite trails are quite tight and twisty in the trees and I'm happiest in 3rd gear there.

Heck, my bike disrupts very little more than a trials bike would do. Almost all of my power gets to the ground without much wheel spinning.

I used to ride a 125 when my riding buddy had a 490. I learned how to duck real fast, however I always wondered why he kept the bike when he always asked to ride my bike and then never wanted to give it back. :jump:
I don't think YOUR bike is a "poof" bike. LMAO. No your bike doesn't make poof noises and doesn't have poofy suspension that bottoms real easy, also your seat is hard, not poofy. I would love to have a WR, they're light and nimble and rev to the moon! I just can't afford 2 bikes now so I got a biggen for the street as the little bikes don't do hi way well. I wanted a bike that can do both street and dirt well. I have to say this one does. I'd like to get a KTM 525/300 EXC or WR450, maybe a 450X ( motor issues)for bush roostin. Is your bike stock? No wires cut or throttle stops modified etc? Your absolutely right about the wheel spin thing. I have to bog mine in 3rd to keep the traction. It's kind of cool the torque carries you through the corner starting with a bogging wheelie and carries all the way down the straight and never shifting the thing. I'm in 3rd all day untill I can get some open terrain.

That's funny my bro had a 490 he jumped a 4 lane hi way and landed on a culvert pushing his mono shock through his gas tank and braking all his motor mounts. He was fine??? I rode that thing, if you got off it and on another you wouldn't want it back either lol.

I know what you mean about small bikes though, they are so fun. You almost never sh*t your pants like I do on a regular basis. I'm always saying after grabbing a bunch of throttle in a bad spot "Oooh I shouldn't have done that" as I do a flailing skid into the bush or worse. Some times I die and some times the bike lives up to it's stable reputation and I don't wipe. I was riding my new XR250R I bought for my girlfriend yesterday (just got it yesterday) What a blast I could ride it in the snow and the power was decent and pedictable enough that I wasn't affaid of wiping. It's so light and non threatening compared to my BRP. I don't get an adrenaline rush when I ride the 250 like the 680, believe it or not it's kind of nice. I can concentrate on fun instead of survival. I still love stupid power though. Ya most of it just goes to stump blasting and doesn't give you alot of speed but it's fun and that's all I want.

Maybe I'll steal my girlfriends 250 and we can go do some goat
trails on our "poof" bikes ;) Just don't leave me behind as a WR is a rocket compared to an XR250. I'm moving to Calgary soon (this summer) anyways so...... Well I've wrote another book so later

:cheers:
Cam
01 BRP (XR680R) cammed, 11:1, pro curcuit exaust with spark arrestor of course :) , Clarke 16.3l tank, 15/47 Ironman Sprokets

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BRPCAM said wrote:I don't think YOUR bike is a "poof" bike. LMAO. No your bike doesn't make poof noises and doesn't have poofy suspension that bottoms real easy, also your seat is hard, not poofy. I would love to have a WR, they're light and nimble and rev to the moon! I just can't afford 2 bikes now so I got a biggen for the street as the little bikes don't do hi way well. I wanted a bike that can do both street and dirt well. I have to say this one does. I'd like to get a KTM 525/300 EXC or WR450, maybe a 450X ( motor issues)for bush roostin. Is your bike stock? No wires cut or throttle stops modified etc?
LMAO :D :D :D Your books crack me up :crazy:

The WR certainly sounds "poofy" in it's stock form. It's even worse for 2005 since they come exactly the same as the USA model. It's designed for 82db for heavens sake and the throttle only opens 1/2 way when you get it. "Poofy" I try to stand as much as possible (until I get tired) so I never cared if the seat was hard.

No mine isn't quite stock but it's still a 250. :devil: There are a lot of 290's down here. I had a 4 cubic ft box full of parts in the basement before I even rode my bike. The YZ cam makes quite a difference in how the bike breaths and therefore what it sounds like. I hope to test the sound level of my bike this year and if it is over 96db I'll have an issue with it. Even my girls say it's much quieter and they pay very little attention to bikes, well at least the wife doesn't. They commented last weekend that they could see me riding the track but couldn't hear the bike. I figure they were a little less than a km away so I'm happy with that. I don't want to give anyone reason to complain about me riding if I can help it. Sounding "poofy" but fast, that is my goal. I guess it won't quite sound poofy at 96db :confused:

I've never ridden with a dual sport bike that even wanted to take it on single track. Sounds like fun.

Moving to Calgary? Will you be here before or after Stampede (July 10)?

BRPCam
User
User

Post by BRPCam »

LMAO :D :D :D Your books crack me up :crazy:

The WR certainly sounds "poofy" in it's stock form. It's even worse for 2005 since they come exactly the same as the USA model. It's designed for 82db for heavens sake and the throttle only opens 1/2 way when you get it. "Poofy" I try to stand as much as possible (until I get tired) so I never cared if the seat was hard.

No mine isn't quite stock but it's still a 250. :devil: There are a lot of 290's down here. I had a 4 cubic ft box full of parts in the basement before I even rode my bike. The YZ cam makes quite a difference in how the bike breaths and therefore what it sounds like. I hope to test the sound level of my bike this year and if it is over 96db I'll have an issue with it. Even my girls say it's much quieter and they pay very little attention to bikes, well at least the wife doesn't. They commented last weekend that they could see me riding the track but couldn't hear the bike. I figure they were a little less than a km away so I'm happy with that. I don't want to give anyone reason to complain about me riding if I can help it. Sounding "poofy" but fast, that is my goal. I guess it won't quite sound poofy at 96db :confused:

I've never ridden with a dual sport bike that even wanted to take it on single track. Sounds like fun.

Moving to Calgary? Will you be here before or after Stampede (July 10)?
[/quote]
The XR's are poofy sounding too but no matter how loud/quiet a bike is you can hear the difference between 8:1 and 12.5:1. The high compression makes a snap sound were the 8:1 makes a poof noise (TTR225 sounds like a Honda generator No wait the genset is louder and more impressive) :D

The seat being hard is a sign of a race bike anyways not a poof bike. I lmao at those seats that make a whistle noise when you sit down, sinking in 6" before you stop. I actually want a poof seat for the BRP only covered with fake sheep fur to go with my faggy mirror that's bent. I think that would be funny to enter a XC and pass the slower bikes at 115mph in the speed sections, giving the enzite smile and wave with panty hose hanging off my helmet, sitting on furry poof seat. That's what I'm about..... fun.

Did you put the YZ cam in? That would be cool. I never thought of a bike that quiet, one you can't hear at the track, that would be kind of cool. Like out of sight/sound out of mind. No complaints. Maybe when I come down in Aug??(after stampede) I'll be wanting to change to a "Q", I hate whinners too, up here there is no need for the Q. Only if you want the sound of a Q for your own liking not what a whinner thinks. I hated how my XR was sooo restricted. Even after the power up kit it was still slow to rev but way better. Now with the much bigger cam, valves and higher compresion pistion, the revs come up fast enough to hit the rev limiter before you can shift sometimes, but is still tractable enough for trail use due to the hugh gear spread(leave it in a big gear). Not like a YZ450. I ride my brothers YZF426 and it's stappier due to the low gears, pumper carb but it's all over the trail. He has a hard time keeping up as he is in the trees alot. I refer to it like a light switch ON=49hp Off= 0hp nothing in between. Mine is not like that, the more you turn it the more power it has, the less you turn it the less power it has. Perfect. I'm afraid a Q will take away the quick revs that I spent so much time and money developing. Scott Summers put a Q on his CRF450R to take the big hit away that the MotoX bikes have. As well as a 17 ounce fly wheel :crazy:

I double track/quad trail my BRP all the time, just not goat trails. I'm not sure what a single track is, as all the trails around here I've ridden except the goat trails(single track as bikes are the only ones that can go on it) have had many many quads down them. They make two lanes, an inside and an outside for the corners. I always take the outside as it's usually bigger, the BRP likes ruts/berms. Plant the BRP in the rut and leave it in a big gear cranked to 11! You won't go wrong. Other wise it 2 wheel drifts off into the trees because it's too heavy to stick.

Well what's that book 5? Oh well if your site runs out of room we can delete the books. I write them to encourage other people to let it hang out and tell their stories/experiences. I'm glad you like my storries :banana:

Cam

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BRPCam wrote:Well what's that book 5?
Keep this up and you'll be Junior in no time. :crazy:

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

The 100 dB rule should be applied & enforced.
If anyone thinks there is anywhere in North America where nobody cares how loud you are - you're deluding yourself.
The greenies are everywhere, they are well funded & well organized.
They ARE trying to remove us from the wilderness and loud pipes are one of their favourite weapons.
Not only are they trying - they are succeeding.
Anyone with loud pipes: you are helping the enviro-liars eliminate our sport.
Frank

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

NOISE

Post by thumper-darryl »

Kickstart You have no idea how correct you are. As a representative working on access issues for our sport, noise is pretty much the only thing the anti-bike people have to use against us.. So you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Anyone with a loud bike is our enemy. Period
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

BRPCam
User
User

Noise problem

Post by BRPCam »

I think the manufacturers are close to a solution to the problem. For me it's when they come out with a Honda that is quiet stinky fast and reliable as my XR. We'll see how the 450X does over the next couple years, maybe I'll buy one??????? Sounds awesome in all the mag reviews so far? No mentions of the 36hrs on the motor and shows signs of needing a rebuild already sindrome the 250X was said to have it's first year out.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/off-road/ look for the 450X video it's pretty cool, the direct link to the vid doesn't work for some reason?

I wonder what is in store for the XR650R? Will there be a 650X. Maybe a 710X to keep up with KTM's new 710cc BAJA monster. I don't know.

That would be so weird to ride a bike that is so quiet the change slap is all you hear and still have your *** ripped from the gripper seat upon opening the throttle. We'll see....... Mind you my XR was never really toooo far from this principle anyways, but there is definately room for improvement.
Last edited by BRPCam on Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Sounds like BRPCAM is almost to converted to a quiet bike :applause: :applause: :applause: Perhaps he wishes that he could change his vote?

Nice to see you back here BRPCam.

I've got my Q tuned really well. It isn't quiet so that I can hear the chain slap, it still sounds like a mean bike by the rider. But, my buddies don't complain about the noise when they follow me.

My girls were about 1 km away from the track when they said that they could see me but not hear me. So I think that is good. We all know that 4 strokes noise carries far.

So I think that 96db is a good compromise. The thing about the Q is that it is about the same sound level as a stock YZF pipe at idle but it doesn't seem to get too much louder when it revs. It does take some jetting changes to make it run right if it is jetted for an open MX pipe however. :blah: :blah:

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:

BRPCam
User
User

Post by BRPCam »

Thanks Dirtboy for the welcome!

I still think for a closed curcuit track the 100dec rule shouldn't be enforced, it's part of the excitement of racing. That could be better decided when I hear what a 100 decebels sounds like exactly. All I know is my bros YZF with a power core 4 with burnt out insulation is way too loud for me. My XR isn't nearly that loud. However for woods and public land, yeah maybe the more quiet the better. Up here know one cares because you are so far from everyone. There are no hikers here, no pedal bikes etc. no tourists, it's a sh*t hole. As a result no one complains. I can't beleive you guys live in constant fear of the poof police, I've never seen them before. Not in 22 years of riding. They're like sasquatch or aliens to me and you guys talk and worry about them all the time. Weird.....

I remember seeing fish police who came and talked to me and my friends at Wiaprous in 97 with my Jeep, they asked questions about if we were hunting, we said no, and he let us go...... That has never happened here either???

Cam
Last edited by BRPCam on Tue May 23, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BRPCam wrote:I still think for a closed curcuit track the 100dec rule shouldn't be enforced, it's part of the excitement of racing.
Cam, I assume that when you say closed circuit track you mean enclosed like inside a building. I have no issue with that. All of the racing that we talk about on this site is not done on a closed circuit, it is done on open land that is accessible to the public. So noise from the race could affect the public. You yourself said that you don't like the noise from the YZ with the PC4. Sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

It's not about the poof police, it is about the threat to our riding areas.

Ask the boys in the South about the Castle AMP? Basically Motorcycles don't even go there any more because the designated trails are so wide and chewed up that it isn't any fun.

Check out our Land Advocacy page. There are examples of web sites of groups that seek to close our access. One of them wants it closed all the way from Yellowstone to the Yukon. You might be OK where you live but don't expect to go near the Rockies :eek:

http://www.rockymountaindirtriders.com/land.html

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem ! :buttkick:

BRPCam
User
User

Trying to help

Post by BRPCam »

Crappy...... I just don't understand the problem so forget it. I wrote a letter to the Calgary MLA Janis Tarchuk for you guys explaining that I wish to keep the lands open for us to use and CC other areas in AB. So I did what I could right now maybe next year I'll have more time to join a club in the Calgary area in order to show up to meetings etc regarding this issue of land closure.

The YZ is ok I guess in a race setting as I don't race and the noise of racing in my neighbor hood would excite me as it did when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine complaining. The YZ is too loud to trail ride with friends is what I was getting at. When he hits it beside me it hurts my ear. Maybe that is a good reason the 100dec rule should be enforced? I don't know.... Like I said I don't race but go to them and the noise doesn't bother me at all there, that's all.

I'd like to test my XR to see how loud it is. It's not any louder than a 650 with the power up baffle insert if that means anything to anyone?

update:

I made it to Calgary and I was affraid to unload my bike at Mclean so I went to the ghost area on a week day. I have not made it to Calgary yet as to live but when I do I will sell my bike. But I'll sell it up north where it's still worth something. Man you guys have it tuff. Especially now with the closing of 90% of the trails. I am soo sorry about that. I wrote my letters joined the clubs and still you get raped. I understand the fear you people feel now. I went to Calgary to ride so I could understand. Now I do understand. You guys are harrased, totally and completely violated. Seriously you guys are desensitized to it, yet still feel violated and have no choice but to comply. Outrageous! You can't imagine how I felt, like KGB was coming down on me. If any of you want to come camping and bikin with me and feel what it's like to be free let me know. You guys will go back and rage on the door steps of the "SRD" etc. after the experience. Although I don't trust anyone anymore. What happens here stays here from now on. Where's here? Exactly, I won't post where. Now is this the talk of a person living in a free country!?

Cam
Last edited by BRPCam on Tue May 23, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for helping out with the letter :)

I appreciate your view point but can't help but look at the bigger picture.

:canada:

BRPCam
User
User

Post by BRPCam »

Good point and I'm with ya every step.

:cheers: