Should CMRC Off Road races enforce the 100db rule ??

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.

Should the Alberta CMRC Off road races enforce the 100db maximum sound rule?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 18

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Should CMRC Off Road races enforce the 100db rule ??

Post by dirtyboy »

Both the Hare Scramble and Cross Country rules state that there is a 100db maximum rule for race machines.

Should this be enforced? :confused:

Trotter
User
User

Post by Trotter »

a lot of people don't like the loud noise :banana:

if riders want attention they should use a sign :attention:
Tread lightly.......bunnies and deer are everywhere in the forest.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I think that the noise rules should be enforced, because then the bike mfgrs would start to make quiet bikes that still rip.My .02----WR Dave :buttkick:

BRPCam
User
User

noise

Post by BRPCam »

I don't understand it in a race setting? Who cares! I like the sound of the new four strokes, soothing to the ears compared to 2-strokes. As far as plain recreation I agree with WR Dave make quite bikes rip. Just not like the new 250x that needs a rebuild every 36 hours. I'll just stick with the BRP. Now if they could make it lighter......

Cam
Last edited by BRPCam on Tue May 23, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
01 BRP (XR680R) cammed, 11:1, pro curcuit exaust with spark arrestor of course :) , Clarke 16.3l tank, 15/47 Ironman Sprokets

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

noise

Post by thumper-darryl »

Since most hare-scrambles are run on public property the attitude of "it is a race" does not apply. If it was in an enclosed area closed off to the public, go for it, be as noisy as you want. Just as you are still required to have liscence and insurance on your bike, since you are on public land, where the public still has access, the rules and expectations are different. EH.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: noise

Post by dirtyboy »

thumper-darryl wrote:Since most hare-scrambles are run on public property the attitude of "it is a race" does not apply. If it was in an enclosed area closed off to the public, go for it, be as noisy as you want. Just as you are still required to have liscence and insurance on your bike, since you are on public land, where the public still has access, the rules and expectations are different. EH.
thumper-darryl,

The CMRC has a rule about 100db but I don't think that the Alberta government has rule about noise level for a motorcycle. Or does it?

This is what I could find about the muffler listed in the OHV Act:

Muffler
8(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle unless the off-highway vehicle is equipped with an exhaust muffler that complies with this section.
(2) An exhaust muffler must cool and expel the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.
(3) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(4) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows gases in or leaving the exhaust system to be ignited.
(5) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust muffler
(a) is cut out or disconnected from the engine, or
(b) has had a baffle plate or other part removed.

:cheers:

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

noise

Post by thumper-darryl »

What you read is what is there . totally vague, and hard to enforce. We have suggested to Gov to adopt the U.S forest standard. That sludge you posted from the regs is all they have to go by for spark-arrestor rules.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer

BRPCam
User
User

noise

Post by BRPCam »

nothing here tra la la
Last edited by BRPCam on Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 BRP (XR680R) cammed, 11:1, pro curcuit exaust with spark arrestor of course :) , Clarke 16.3l tank, 15/47 Ironman Sprokets

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

BRPCam,

I can understand your position coming from where you live, however Alberta, Canada and North America are bigger than your playground.

Did you hear about the land closure and lawsuit in Quebec? A bunch of land owners sued the government because they allowed OHV traffic on public land that was too loud for their tolerance. They won the lawsuit and got some money from the government (municipality I think). The land was immediately closed to OHV access. I hope this isn't used by others, or scares other governments into closing land.
From AOHVA Web site wrote:Quebec Lawsuit Results in Trail Closure!

Concerns surrounding noise produced by modified OHV exhaust systems results in major trail closure.
http://www.aohva.com

My point is that IF the race sanctioning bodies, mostly the AMA and CMRC would enforce noise restrictions then the manufacturers would have no choice but to create quiet pipes. The manufacturers already build quiet pipes for Europe because the FIM enforces noice restrictions, even for closed course events like motocross. Off road is even more severely restricted for noise. I think 92db.

So if AMA and CMRC demand quiet pipes, who would buy a loud pipe knowing that it can't be used for racing? Also, why would FMF and others continue to make loud pipes if their target is now quiet pipes? FMF would probably be happier since they wouldn't have to make 2 versions of each model (US / AMA version and FIM version).

If there were no loud pipes, people wouldn't even hear the bikes in the woods so they wouldn't try to close public land.

BRPCam, do you or your family ever plan to ride other places in Alberta in the next 5, 10, 20, or 40 years? I'm sure that you will want to ride somewhere else sometime. Assiniboine forest reserve (Vega) is a favorite place of mine. It isn't too far from you. Even that place is in real jeopardy.

Please consider promoting quiet is cool, if not for you, for your family and the rest of the dirt biking community in Canada. :canada:

And just for the record. There are very few enforcement officers in the Southern Alberta woods. That is one of our issues. The lack of enforcement (officers in the field) allows stupid people to do stupid things without fear of repercussion. When the dirt bike opposition (greenies, and outfitters) see the remains of the stupid things that unresponsible people do, they use it against all of the dirt biking community.

Having a quiet bike is part of being a responsible rider. If we are not responsible with our passion, we will have less and smaller areas to ride in.

:cheers:
Last edited by dirtyboy on Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: noise

Post by dirtyboy »

thumper-darryl wrote:What you read is what is there . totally vague, and hard to enforce. We have suggested to Gov to adopt the U.S forest standard. That sludge you posted from the regs is all they have to go by for spark-arrestor rules.
If they were to amend the law, and do sound tests, that would be much better than closing areas!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

You know BRPCAm that it used to be like that around here and now there are threats to shut us out and many places have been closed to us in the last 10 or so years. Just because there is now one there to tell you what is right doesn't make it okay. I would love to come up there to ride but I am not going take off or change my silencer when I get there.

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Post by thumper-darryl »

FIM has a very good code for noise, that has been used for years all across the world. It has been used successfully to save racing venues from closure, proving that the racing taking place is NOT too loud. If Alberta had been using the FIM code the 2 MX tracks lost over the last 2 years may have been saved. THe AMA in the U.S. has adopted a noise standard for all competition, neither sanctioning body in Canada has, so Canada is the only place where the aftermarket can sell it's noisy exhaust. It is time the CMA & CMRC get off their *** and adopt a noise code. Then nobody would run noisy exhaust. And life would be better in the forest. Me thinks.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Darryl,

The CMRC HS and XC rule book mentions that 100db is the maximum for HS and XC competition. However it is not enforced and many bikes are much louder than that.

I just replaced my perfectly good FMF PC 4 pipe with an FMF Q pipe because I've been educated since last year. I wish that I hadn't wasted my money on the loud pipe in the first place :banghead:

The Q works well. :cheers:

BRPCam
User
User

BRAAAAAP! Oh the noise!

Post by BRPCam »

cladoo wrote:You know BRPCAm that it used to be like that around here and now there are threats to shut us out and many places have been closed to us in the last 10 or so years. Just because there is now one there to tell you what is right doesn't make it okay. I would love to come up there to ride but I am not going take off or change my silencer when I get there.
Hey I hear ya. I wouldn't expect you to change your silencer? I don't mind quiet bikes at all. Like I said my brothers is too loud it hurts my ears when he's beside me (YZF) pulling wheelies. It sucks because one can't cover/plug an ear with a helmet on as it actually hurts your ear drum. Also the fact that it used to be like it is here around your area makes me sad.

The point I want to make clear is that they have made the bikes quiet now, look at the new CRF250X. The mags say it's so quiet that other bikes can't hear you coming. Cool! I like a quiet bike too. The only thing is that they can make this bike fast and quiet, but the bike appearently needs a re-ring job etc every 36 hours as a result. Too much back presure???? I don't know. Then to have the government force one to buy a bike like that in order to enjoy our passion. Who can afford that. I went 4yrs on my bike before I went inside it and I do 36hrs of riding in a weekend every weekend! So can you imagine rebuilding your engine every week because someone caused the law to enforce noise bylaws or invent noise bylaws to enforce? I only hope that the engineers can solve the premature rebuild issues in the future then I may look at a 450X but untill then I'll stay with my XR.

You know my XR wouldn't even run when I bought it because of the noise and emissions standards that had to be met from the factory. Same with my buddies WR450F. Bottled up bikes are just "Poof bikes" with the potential to be cool. I had to spend $3000 on my bike just to wheely over logs, it had trouble in stock form. How dumb is that? The rest of the big bore, cam, valves etc were just greed :D The bike costs 7500 to begin with though and having to spend that much on exaust and intake mods (power up kit) is a real pain. Now like I said it's not too bad for noise. It's medium, I think a nice balance of what everyone is talking about. (pretty sure <100db) and it's not pillow biting gay.

I think everyone in this thread has made a valid point. The question is can we solve the issue with everyone happy? I love to see a bullet proof motor like the XR and have the power of a crazy race bike. However I think it may be like all season tires, they don't do anything well. Not mud, not too good in snow and don't hook up behind big power on the street (hard compound). I do all of the above. So now I need 3 sets of tires. Like I need different bikes. One for *** ripping stump blasting, one for poof biking around the police and sensitive people and so on.

I do want to ride elsewhere definately. I'm doing a ride from Grande Prairie via Grande Cache, Hinton, Wiaprous/Mclean? (spelling) and finally Crows nest past area this summer. All on the bike..... no pickup as my bike is street legal now. I will do a trip to Vancover Island as well this summer, probably spend a good month on the bike either tenting or hotels or both. So if anyone wants to ride when I'm in the area I would love to be shown your special riding places. You show me yours and I'll show you mine..... :thinking: Riding places dumb *** :D
No better way to explore than with the locals! Let me know.

Well I've written yet another book :blah: sorry I guess I'm just passionate about bikes. I think I covered everyones questions and concerns I hope so this was long enough, good thing I can type fast. later.......

Cam

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: BRAAAAAP! Oh the noise!

Post by dirtyboy »

BRPCam wrote:Now like I said it's not too bad for noise. It's medium, I think a nice balance of what everyone is talking about. (pretty sure <100db) and it's not pillow biting gay.

So if anyone wants to ride when I'm in the area I would love to be shown your special riding places. You show me yours and I'll show you mine..... :thinking:
No better way to explore than with the locals! Let me know.
Be glad to show you some trails Cam as long as your bike is trail legal. I've got this feeling that your bike could could create an irrigation ditch with one pass. :wall: I wouldn't want to have an incident with the local sheriff........and I'm not talking Josh Demuth :D