Radium race

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Radium race

Post by thumper-darryl »

Just got back from a H.S west of Radium. Race was organized by Dylan Cartwright with help from a B.C local. Terrain was pretty much the same as the north part of Kook area. Luck was with them as it rained saturday night NO DUST.The course they created was fantastic. Tight single track, whooped out meadows, old logging trails, and nasty hills made for an interesting day. I have not competed in H.S for 6 years, but Dylan talked me into entering. A number of re-learned things:
Arm pump is NOT your friend.
Landing on stumps from jumps is BAD.
Missing corners kills your lap times.
Quick-strap goggles are great for casual trail riding but REALLY suck under race conditions ( mine got torn off my helmet 4 darn times.)
Juniors make good road blocks on nasty hills.

But all-in-all a great riding/racing area, and a great event from Dylan. And a 15 minute drive to the hot pools. Cool. Hopefully they can run it again next year.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

where was the course located? Can you ride there normally? I didn't hear anything about that race, is there a BC race website??

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

Radium

Post by thumper-darryl »

The location is about 10-15 minutes straight west of Radium on crown land. Race was listed on CMA site.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Sounds like a cool race as long as it rains a bit. Otherwise it's pretty dusty there ?

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

There are some very cool trails on Steamboat Mtn. I rode there 3 weeks ago, just after a rain. DB is right about the dust,even after a rain it didn't take long to dry