Flat Track race Aug 18th in Strathmore

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Flat Track race Aug 18th in Strathmore

Post by cerealkiller »

There's a flat track race practically in my backyard this weekend. I figure I might give it a try. Has anyone on the forum done this before? Seems like the kind of discipline that might have some cross-pollination with offroad.

There's a knobby tire class - sounds like the only changes I need to make is removing the kickstand, covering my pegs with rubber and disabling the front brake. :thinking:

So, will I see any RMDRAers out there? Any advice for a newbie?

-Jared
#44b

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Flat Track race Aug 18th in Strathmore

Post by dirtyboy »

Never tried it but I would just remove the whole front brake assembly - lever together.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

You're right -probably faster to unbolt the whole thing than remove my lever even.

Any ideas how to cover my footpegs with rubber? I was thinking I might just slide a big piece of hose on them - or cut a hockey puck to fit inside. I don't actually understand why this is necessary since I don't have a "hot shoe" (but it's mandated in the rule book).
-Jared
#44b

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I have used a stretchy rubber tape for winter riding. It prevents snow from turning to ice in the footpegs. I can’t remember the actual name but I think it is an electrical tape.
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Maybe a slice up one of your old used tubes.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Dave P
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dave P »

Does it have to be wrapped in rubber?

I know the supermoto guys just use peg sliders which is essentially bolting a hockey puck to the bottom of the beg.

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

CWC still has a few free tickets if anyone wants to go watch!

Also- I will be there!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Awesome job on your win in the main! I was cheering you on from the grand stands!
#826A

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Grimlock wrote:Awesome job on your win in the main! I was cheering you on from the grand stands!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Who won? :smirk:
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Thanks! That was a fun event. I was second fastest in qualifying and got second in the heat, so grabbing the win in the main was pretty sweet. Not exactly the most populated class - but I'll take it. :smirk:

I'll post a video and maybe write up some info later in case someone else is interested in trying flat track. A few things I learned:
  • roost at >100kph hurts more than you would think. :lol: I can see why those guys wear leather.
  • much taller gearing is needed. I topped out about 1/3 of the way through the straightaways.
  • not having a front break is hard to adapt to. At one point in the heat I was sure I was pretty sure I was headed for the bales.
IMG_2755.jpg
The heat race was actually more exciting than the main. I grabbed the holeshot and dove to the inside - not realizing that, because they hadn't watered there, it was super slippery. My competitors passed me on the outside. :blush:

Got back to second a couple laps later, then passed into first on the last lap - only to have the other guy cut back underneath.

I ended up with something similar to Dave P's suggestion for my pegs - except the rubber goes on the top for flat track. They were just concerned about the teeth on the pegs. There were a few guys who just wrapped their pegs in duct tape, so this was a more sophisticated setup than I actually required... Mike or Dakota's suggestions would have worked just fine. It's a piece of rubber stair tread ($7 at Rona) trimmed to fit my pegs.
IMG_2712.jpg
-Jared
#44b

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I'd bet that was a lot of fun. You did the Knobby Class, were there any engine size restrictions? Must be dirt bike? Etc?

I think I'd like to drag the 450 out to that!!!
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Seriously, it was a blast. I like going fast and it was surprising how much grip was available. More horsepower would definitely help - I was full throttle in all the straights and at least for the last 1/3 of every corner.

I was going to make some comments about the classes since there's some important information to keep in mind if someone wants to try this out. Engine size is from 250 to 1149cc's - so not much restriction there! Nothing in the rules about being a dirt bike (but you do have the have lights removed or taped, rubber pegs, no kickstand etc. See section 4.2 in the rule book).

I did experience one hiccup however: if you read the rule book (http://www.flattrackcanada.com/rules/) it says there's a provincial knobby tire class, but no national class. This was a national race.

However, it also says in the beginner class definition that "any tires" are allowed. I had pre-registered for the beginner class. Then, when I got there, they told me I couldn't race it with knobbies. :excuse:

No one ever explained the discrepancy to me - but they agreed to run a knobby class IF there were at least three racers. After tech inspection there were only two. :( Another dirt biker was there however, to let his kid try it out on a mini bike. Thankfully he eventually decided to race too. :applause:

So, you might want to check with the race organizer ahead of time whether they will let you run the beginner class - or show up with at least two buddies.

There were also a few people grumbling about letting knobby-tire riders on the track at all (including the track promoter). The concern was that we would "tear it up" and make ruts for everyone else. However, after our first two races I was chatting with the Flat Track Canada president and he said he was surprised that the bikes didn't seem to affect the track much at all. He encouraged me to come back again with more friends - so I think that's the green light. :D
-Jared
#44b

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Congrats Jared! Nice write up too. I always enjoy hearing about the inside scoop and how a race went. :thumbsup:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Just FYI, there's another national round of flat track race this coming weekend in Drumheller.

I'm going to race the Gloomy Creek harescramble, so I'm not going to make it. However, just spit-balling, there's a provincial flat track race on Sept 22-23. A double-header at "TAIL CREEK RACEWAY" near Alix, AB described as a 3/8 mile short track. If I confirmed they would run a knobby class, would anyone be interested in trying it out?
-Jared
#44b

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

cerealkiller wrote:Just FYI, there's another national round of flat track race this coming weekend in Drumheller.

I'm going to race the Gloomy Creek harescramble, so I'm not going to make it. However, just spit-balling, there's a provincial flat track race on Sept 22-23. A double-header at "TAIL CREEK RACEWAY" near Alix, AB described as a 3/8 mile short track. If I confirmed they would run a knobby class, would anyone be interested in trying it out?
Jared, Gloomy creek (changed to Marble Mountain ) ran this past weekend Aug. 18th.