Mountain Goat 2018 (AMSA) - advice for beginners

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Homesteader

Mountain Goat 2018 (AMSA) - advice for beginners

Post by Homesteader »

Hi All,
I am planning on doing the Mountain Goat, 40B class, along with my 15 year old, Beginner/Junior class. We are okay trail riders and novice racers. We just did Panorama and I was mid-pack 40B with 50-60 minute lap times and it took him 2 hours to do a lap. We have done Panorama once before and 1 other SGC hare scramble. Apparently the Panorama B loop was the same as the A loop. After looking at the lap times for Porky's I am concerned about him being able to complete a lap for a typical AMSA race. I think I should be able to do a lap. He did the Kids Expert/Intermediate race at Panorama as well, but we won't be able to do that for Mountain Goat due to scheduling conflicts.
Are we getting in over our heads trying to do the Mountain Goat B loop? For the AMSA races do they typically have different B loops and A loops? As long as we are prepared to take 3-4 hours to finish 1 lap, should we be confident that we can get to the finish line or will the loop be so difficult and technical that finishing could be a real issue?
Cheers

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Mountain Goat 2018 (AMSA) - advice for beginners

Post by boland »

Mountain goat is supposed to be a hare scramble. So max 25 km loop, similar to pano. Porkies was a cross country with 55 km loops. You guys should be fine :thumbsup:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Homesteader

Re: Mountain Goat 2018 (AMSA) - advice for beginners

Post by Homesteader »

boland wrote:Mountain goat is supposed to be a hare scramble. So max 25 km loop, similar to pano. Porkies was a cross country with 55 km loops. You guys should be fine :thumbsup:
Thanks, this is great! No reason not to do it then!