Panorama Harescramble 2018

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Panorama Harescramble 2018

Post by cerealkiller »

I've never been to this race. What's it like?

How long can I expect the loop to be? What's cutoff? How is the terrain?

Also, any tips for securing your bike overnight while staying at a hotel? I'm driving there the day before, planning to stay at the "Pine Inn" Friday night. I have 50' of transport chain which I plan to thread through the frames of my bike and truck, then secure with a lock. Probably add whatever bonus locks I can find in the garage.
-Jared
#44b

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Panorama Harescramble 2018

Post by Dobi »

[quote="Dobi"]It is a great race. They split up the B and A terrain and run at separate times. It is a hare scramble format with 15km or so laps. I think B's have a 2hr and A's have a 2.5 hr cut off. Expect to do multiple laps.

Security isn't an issue. There are hundreds of bikes in the parking lot, and it is a bit remote from town and has on site security.

lots of good video of the races from past years. Howard has a full lap here

boogle2
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boogle2 »

I am planning on attending but have never been in a race before... Can anyone tell me how it works? I assume since I am inexperienced I will just sign up for B loop? My wife was looking to race as well, is the ladies junior class for <18 ladies? So I am guessing she should register for beginner ladies?

Is pre-registration necessary or do a lot of people just show up at 8AM and register and ride?

Also - what about etiquette? Since its my firs trace and I dont care about points, should I just hold back on the hole shot and let everyone in front and just pick my own pace after that?

Thanks for the input.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Thanks Dobi. That's reassuring about security. I checked google maps and saw the hotel just has outdoor gravel parking and started to worry.

Boodle2: yes, you can sign up the sevening before or the morning of the race. The AMSA offroad website has details about the times registration is open - https://www.amsaoffroad.ca/. Click the info tab > 2018 schedule... > scroll down to Panorama.

if this is your very first race, you might just want to sign up for the beginner class. Off the start? it's up to you. It's a race - you can go for it if you want. No one will be upset that you're trying, just depends how comfortable you feel being closely followed/getting passed.

There's usually a bit of sprint off the start as everyone tries to jockey for position. Then it settles down as every spaces out.

Another point of etiquette is to move out of the way for faster riders from other classes. You will usually be able to tell because they will come up on you really fast, may yell out their class or start revving their bike. There's no need to pull over for someone who is in your class (BTW, a pet peeve of mine is when someone from MY class uses those same tactics to try to pass me. That usually results in me sprinting for a few minutes as I attempt to catch and park them. :smirk: ).
-Jared
#44b

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

boogle2 wrote:I am planning on attending but have never been in a race before... Can anyone tell me how it works? I assume since I am inexperienced I will just sign up for B loop? My wife was looking to race as well, is the ladies junior class for <18 ladies? So I am guessing she should register for beginner ladies?

Is pre-registration necessary or do a lot of people just show up at 8AM and register and ride?

Also - what about etiquette? Since its my firs trace and I dont care about points, should I just hold back on the hole shot and let everyone in front and just pick my own pace after that?

Thanks for the input.
I'd recommend pre-registering if you can. This is a very popular race and the registration line up the morning of the race is known to get a bit long. This being said the volunteers do their best to get everyone through as quick as possible. The other benefit, is this being your first race, being pre-registered removes an item to be stressed about.

Class:
This being your first race and if you don't already know you're to fast for the Junior (or 30/40B) class, just enter beginner.

Etiquette/Racing:
Off the start, if you have the self control to not race for the first corner, well you'll be one of the only people able to control yourself. I'd suggest not just waiting for everyone else to go, particularly as in the beginner class there will be bottlenecks on the course and it really sucks to be at the back of the bottleneck.

As for the actual race, find a good pace that you can keep going at with minimal mistakes. Full out for the whole race only works for the really good racers (i.e. Pro's and upper A's).

When it comes to passing (which I suck at), I've always just based my actions on how quick you are or aren't regardless of class. If someone catches me really easily or has been right behind me for a while I let them by (even if they're in my class). If I catch someone really easy or I have been right behind them for a while I'll yell/panic rev etc.. and give them a chance to let me by (again even if they're in my class) . If they insist on not letting me by, I'll start to consider using them as an additional braking surface. This is probably good passing etiquette in the slower classes. In the A and Pro classes, it's a different story. Lastly, if you're on the course at the same time as the A's and Pro's (I don't think this is the case at Panorama), when they catch you, don't do anything sudden or silly just give them a little room and they'll pass you themselves. Diving to one side of the trail or the other to let them by can end up in them taking you out as they don't need (or use) the middle of trail to pass/go fast.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

boogle2 wrote:I am planning on attending but have never been in a race before... Can anyone tell me how it works? I assume since I am inexperienced I will just sign up for B loop? My wife was looking to race as well, is the ladies junior class for <18 ladies? So I am guessing she should register for beginner ladies?

Thanks for the input.
The ladies junior and beginner classes are on Sunday and are both skill based classes so no age limit. Ladies junior rides on the kids expert loop.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A