Panorama 17

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Panorama 17

Post by thirtyseven »

Another great race on the skihill.
Highlights for me. A stacked 50+ class showed up and a lot of the old farts. Looking at each of the names it was clear there could be anything happen.
I personally figured there would be a swing for me of anywhere between 3rd on the "nothing goes wrong and I don't screw up" side to 22nd on the "get a bad start, pick bad lines" side.

Great start... Woohoo!!!
Then... Rode tight and got massive arm pump (put elbow guards on wrong arms so the right was too tight) loosend right one and tried to concentrate on trail to get flow going rather than finding passing spots (there weren't many).
Gaggle of about 4 of us up front with a gap to the next group about half way through the lap and as we were coming off a small part on an access trail there was a big wet area. Since we were the first ones through it was anyone's guess which way to go... The guys in front of me went wide, I thought I'd scoop them all by cutting inside. Bad move, buried in goop. Lost a ton of spots then rejoined at the back of a group that seemed to be struggling with the course. Made up a ton of spots on a greasy hill in a bushwhacker move extrordinaire... 250f givin'er!!! Filed in behind someone who was just fast enough to be annoying not my flow speed. Looking for places to pass was wasting too much energy so I fixated on riding clean and waiting for a big long pull near the beginning of the lap. As we were climbing the switch-backs I heard a 2t coming and thought "that has to be Dirtyboy" and cursed myself for settling in to the slower pace. Old 315 put a stunning pass on me over difficult terrain, but immediately go hung up by the guy I was. A wide rider! A couple minutes later we were at the spot I was going to pass the guy on and now Dirtyboy was in my way. Just twisted hung on and got them both.
3rd lap had a minor excursion off the bike, twisted the bars and gained a bunch of foliage, one piece was in the front brakes which caused moments of concern (there were some really steep hills). Had an injury break (rider in a bad spot getting extracted). End of the lap was going to quit because I couldn't ride the narrow sidehill with everything twisted but Hendrix and AJRJ were there to straighten me up and get me going.
4th lap I really enjoyed. Hardly any bikes and just enjoyed the ride. Another long injury break and the race was on to the end with Lyndon. Got by him as his bike sputtered and he reached down for reserve.

What I learned.
1.The new 250fs are really good.
2. Steep sidehill... Stand up!
3. Chris Birch says " It's not a steep downhill if your brakes won't slow you down but you can still turn". Used that several times!

Hopefully I will have some footage.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Panorama 17

Post by thirtyseven »

Vid.
Second lap.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Panorama 17

Post by timbruce »

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing Howard. Nice work..