Race Numbers

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Race Numbers

Post by Dobi »

I am anxiously awaiting the CMRC to issue me my number for this year when it dawned on me that I am uncertain on the placement of the numbers on the bike. According to the H/S and X/C rules we need them, but it doesn't stipulate if they are required on both sides and the front plate. I question this because my license plate is secured to the front plate. If I take off the plate to display my numbers I am violating something in the traffic act and am liable for a fine. Do I need to run my numbers on the front, if so I am going to have to come up with a new way to mount that darn plate. :bonk:

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Most races have an excemption where licence plates are not needed, so your number will go on the front. Putting them on the side plates is a good idea as the score keepers need to see your number and in muddy races the more the better. Also if you happen to get on the DirtTV video (if you're fast or crash) you can recognize yourself. Maybe not a good thing if the latter happens!LOL
Claude

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

cladoo wrote:Most races have an excemption where licence plates are not needed, so your number will go on the front.
Are you sure that's true? As far as I can see the race exemption only covers the headlight and taillight. I think by rights we are supposed to have a license plate and registration. :excuse: I know the insurance doesn't apply during a race and that the sanctioning body provides the insurance during the race.

Here is the link to the act http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/ ... 077972013X

Can anyone make any more sense of it? I think that this is 1 detail that we are working on clarifying. Normally we haven't run plates during races in the past 3 years but this year may be different.

I know that the SRD is interacting with the race promoters in a much more controlled way this year. :cheers:

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

plates

Post by thumper-darryl »

The equipment exemption covers headlight & tail-light requirement. To operate on public land you must still have insurance & registration on your bike.. And display the liscence plate on the front or rear of the bike, or get a ticket. Simple.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: plates

Post by Dobi »

thumper-darryl wrote:The equipment exemption covers headlight & tail-light requirement. To operate on public land you must still have insurance & registration on your bike.. And display the liscence plate on the front or rear of the bike, or get a ticket. Simple.
That's a shame, I was getting all excited that I may get to showcase my numbers on a DirtTV video after Cladoo's comments. I may not be fast but I put on a spectacular show when I crash :banana:

Thanks for the answers.