MRSI Challenge

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

MRSI Challenge

Post by erniebearskin »

Sounds like it's still a go, anyone else heading out? I saw via Facebook that Dirtyboy, Daryl and Monty (and I'm sure others) have put in a tonne of work rerouting some of the crud on B loop.

I see light rain forecasted for Sundre so roll off and rain shell is probably in order!

:cheers:
Bikeless....

aebbern
Writer
Writer

Re: MRSI Challenge

Post by aebbern »

From the Weather Network for Sundre - sounds like this could be a bit of a deluge for Fallen Timber. I'm going to play it by ear and decide early Sat am

"Issued at 10:44 Friday 15 July 2016
Rain, at times heavy, is expected.

Heavy rains have developed along the foothills in southern Alberta associated with an upper low pressure system moving in from British Columbia. 20-30 mm of rain has fallen since Thursday evening for most areas in the vicinity of Calgary and along the foothills to the West and Northwest, with local amounts over 50 mm. Showers and thunderstorms continue in the Kananaskis region and will become more organized and spread north and eastward this afternoon with significant rainfall expected into Saturday. By Saturday afternoon an additional 40 to 60 mm of rain is likely in the Airdrie, Kananaskis and Nordegg regions. Surrounding regions are expected to receive an additional 20 to 40 mm of rain. The rain is forecast to taper off Saturday night."

Beta 300RR

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

I'm going :thumbsup: Got a brand new M5B on and patched up my rain coat, should be fun :headbang:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

We'll enjoy a muddy beer post race Josh :thumbsup:
Bikeless....

patwill
User
User

Post by patwill »

For sure!!!!! :thumbsup:
Patrick
2014 KTM 200 XC-W

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Well.......... That was certainly interesting. :crazy:
Bikeless....

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

You can't leave it at that! The heavy rain warning kept me from committing to the event, how was it?

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Rain upon arrival, rain during the race, rain during departure. I rode 30B and it was probably one of the more challenging "B" loops I've raced on. Wet wet wet, I only managed two loops and wasn't disappointed at all to be cut off from my third. My roll offs lasted 5 minutes, my back up gogs lasted another 10 and my safety glasses made it 15 more. Track deteriorated big time between first and second loop, little trenches became big deep trenches, lots of deep holes formed, tricky root sections became pin it and pray sections, one hill was particularly challenging with at least 8 bikes strewn across it on my second passing. One of the bridges washed away so flaggers were guiding people through the skeg, actually all low land skeg was lean back and WOT! I was completely soaked through, and so muddy that I was chuckling to myself getting changed after at the absurdity of the situation.

Race organization was exceptional, course was very well flagged and had some awesome routing, riding some of the traditional MRSI course backwards.

Foordy claims B loop was harder than A loop but he also had a fresh track ahead of him, word from the A's was it was really tough going after the pro's made the first pass.

Despite all that, a lot of fun. Races like that, it's a win just to get out of the bush in one piece.
Bikeless....

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

:thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

I did the "B" loop at around 5:30PM because the club classes didn't get to run and really wanted to do some riding at least. Wish there was a firm decision and better communication for the club classes, quite a few people were pissed and just left.

We understand the rain and riders everywhere/destroyed trail, but most of us were amped up and ready to ride from 8:00am, and were only told it's cancelled at 4:00. We could have organized a bit of a group ride so some people could have a bit of fun. (suggestion for next time).

I would highly recommend making a firm decision early on the day to people can plan or at least know what's going on. This would help everyone out a ton. (This is just feedback and not complaining, everyone who put the event on did a ton of work and we appreciate it).

It was interesting to ride after everyone was gone, there was a river that formed in the middle of the trail out of no where, it was neck deep in the spot I chose. I got lucky actually didn't get water in the bike. Good ol ghost riding.

Saw 4 abandoned bikes, had a quick yell to see if anyone was still stuck out there. It really wasn't too difficult to ride, but there were several spots if you didn't pick a good line or think about it you could have drowned your bike.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

haha "not difficult to ride".......right :rolleyes:

Too bad about the Sportsmen class getting canceled. That sucks but was probably the right call.
Bikeless....

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

It would be almost impossible to race, I had the luxury or just putting around and could stop and pick good lines lol.

Yeah it was a great call cancelling it, it would have been carnage. Just wish it was cancelled earlier.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

erniebearskin wrote:haha "not difficult to ride".......right :rolleyes:

:banghead: :hide: :crazy:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Sounds like the trails took a thrashing.

Too bad. The races in this area have put a lot of wear and tear on these trails already.

gorillam
User
User

Post by gorillam »

Yeah never seen a trail like it before, so much water coming down from the hill streams were forming in the rut haha.