Mountain Goat 100

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Mountain Goat 100

Post by Dobi »

https://albertawilderness.ca/download/file/fid/2911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is an interesting read of a letter that ESRD sent to the AWA regarding an inquiry into all of the racing going on in livingstone and porcupine hills. It is not as frightening of a stand as one would expect from SRD in this region... Maybe not all is lost :thinking: :thinking:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Jason's post on the forum.... This one hits us all close to home. I am still torn on how and to what degree my response to SRD (AEP) will be on this one. Its delicate. This could be us if this guy gets a transfer to Calgary next year. no more winter TFA's for Mclean, no more work permits, closures at his discretion based upon wildlife sensitivities in an area, no race TFA's, no club rides, the list goes on....

Good day,
I am the author of the original social media post that was placed on this site. I am not writing to rant about the non supporters but I do wish to clear up some of the points people have made!

1) I don't believe the person who posted it on this site intended it to be a political rant, as we all know every party we have elected will have its downfalls
- my post was merely to bring light to how one member of the srd has vocally stated how he does not want us in area and did whatever was possible to keep us out

2) these trails that are GPS and sent in have been being sent to him for months and months. The area he refused was not in the high alpine it was actually in a valley around 6500 ft.

3) we used only existing trails as specified in the south Sask. regional plan states ohv Use is permitted

4) the video whom ever stated was my self was very wrong

5) our group that puts on these events is one of many across Alberta whom host events and have done so for approx 50 years we all practice best conservation techniques as do most other organized user groups. Such as trail maintenance, reclamation, and bridge building

6) we have worked with srd for months and months including the appeals board and were working towards resolution this was less than 1km of trail in a valley. we re routed to accommodate re GPS and mike refused to look at route. so we are all clear the ball was dropped with the srd

7) our race community is not a bunch of renegade weekend warriors as how some people have posted on this site. we camp, fish, hike,and hunt as many others do on this site. We went to srd for approval as we want to work with them. Our motorcycle user group does not address all hunters as poachers killing all the animals destroying our fish populations as we try to not stereotype.
We need to work together!
Furthermore I believe many of you hunters use quads to get out to your areas, drive 4x4, cut wood, camp in random camping areas as the rest of us recreational users do. It's our forest, our creeks our lands lets work together and respectively continue to use it!

8) our goal as a user group is not to destroy anything or create more pressure among user groups, we wish to bring attention to how 1 person strung us along until the very last moment after we followed all appropriate channels and then dropped the hammer on our event. We know it's personal, as he has spoke how he does not want users in his area and we have heard he does do the same to hunters in this area. This is his backyard and he wants everyone out!
He straight up is a bully and wanted to flex his muscles

Thanks all readers and all who have posted great dialogue to have. we all have to remember all our organized recreational user groups need to work to keep these areas open so we can all enjoy them before its all made into parkland.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Dobi wrote:I went and read the forum. It almost makes me feel guilty for riding a bike.

What really surprises me is how this one small group, whom I would think has a negative overall public perception from the safeway hunter crowd, would go off on so strongly to discourage the responsible use of the backcountry by another user group. The social media world that we live in is a scary one that it truly going to change the way we live our lives in the very near future. It's almost fearful.
That is so true. I really feel the same way
#Z3B

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

It's amazing how easily people fall into "exclusive use syndrome"; they believe public lands should be used only for their chosen activity, at the exclusion of everyone else. I guess they dont understand the premis of "united we stand, divided we fall".

horsepower

Post by horsepower »

You can't argue with those unwilling to listen. I should have known better but I am ever the optimist.

Yes Dobi,

I too am worried for the future. I am proud of the work that the RMDRA has done to promote and preserve dirt biking both here and abroad. I shake my head in disbelief by the thread that is taking place over on outdoorsmen forum. You would think that one persecuted group would have understanding and compassion for another. Not so.

Yes, I cross posted John's post in the hopes of derailing an anti OHV thread by providing further explanation to events that had occurred but obviously that didn't happen. How do you have a rational conversation with people who come in part way through and say you are wrong ... just because. You cannot. Personally I am ticked off by the situation occurring over on outdoorsmen forum and am frustrated by events that took place leading up to the race being cancelled.

Don't ever be sorry for riding a dirt bike or taking part in any (legal) activity that gives you or your family pleasure.

"exclusive use syndrome" if far too prevalent today. I am proud that I have not seen it here ... except when quads want to use our single track but common... single track is way to cool share with just anybody... :smirk: :banana: