MRSI Challenge

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Re: MRSI Challenge

Post by erniebearskin »

Dink.

X2 on the Sportsman comment GW, its a pretty good first race experience, although kind of short at 1HR you will know by the end if you are into racing or not.

Some very skilled riders try it and just aren't into, and then other super slow guys like me go out, try our best and then get publically mocked in videos later. :crybaby:
Bikeless....

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Here's how my race went.

32 riders in my class (novice) so the start and most of the first lap was a bit of a cluster. Found a good flow on my second lap and had fun following a couple buddies around. Third lap I blew it big time, got lost, got stuck and gassed badly. Was pretty much in survival mode to make it back. All in all a good time!

Congrats to all the RMDRA members who came out and had great results!
Especially timbruce, jonny5, dirtyboy and hendrix13 for their podium finishes. Well done everyone :applause:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

erniebearskin wrote:Dink.

X2 on the Sportsman comment GW, its a pretty good first race experience, although kind of short at 1HR you will know by the end if you are into racing or not.

Some very skilled riders try it and just aren't into, and then other super slow guys like me go out, try our best and then get publically mocked in videos later. :crybaby:

Speaking of videos......did any one get any. Pat? Jared?....Bueler?......Bueler?....Boland?
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Josh, how do you get lost on your third lap of an 18km course? I have special race navigation skills, but by the third lap even I can stay on course.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

patwill
User
User

Post by patwill »

Jonny5 wrote:
erniebearskin wrote:Dink.

Speaking of videos......did any one get any. Pat? Jared?....Bueler?......Bueler?....Boland?
I smashed my gopro mount on the first lap.. Got a solid 15 min of footage. I'm gonna make one of those chin helmet mounts so my drink tube does not click against the camera.
Patrick
2014 KTM 200 XC-W

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Jonny5 wrote: Speaking of videos......did any one get any. Pat? Jared?....Bueler?......Bueler?....Boland?
The production team is working on it now. The opening 20 mins or so may have been my best riding ever. :D

...then I had a tip-over (I still don't understand why when reviewing the video), a collision with another rider, some challenges in the "A" loop and eventually started running out of gas. I sputtered, wheezed and coasted my way to the finish line, but it was not a great result. Also I broke the plastic vent off my helmet to which my gopro was attached, so the video shows the inside of my hydro pack for an hour or so after the second crash.

I do not understand how I went through so much fuel though. Could I have boiled my gas? I've run 100kms without refueling before, so it doesn't make sens that 38kms would leave me with fumes. Hopefully someone got some video of the brutal A loop.
-Jared
#44b

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

350scott wrote:Josh, how do you get lost on your third lap of an 18km course? I have special race navigation skills, but by the third lap even I can stay on course.
:blush: I wish I knew the answer to that :banghead:

Sorry no video from me, go pro mount was missing a piece and didn't have time to doctor it up
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

cerealkiller wrote:
I do not understand how I went through so much fuel though. Could I have boiled my gas? I've run 100kms without refueling before, so it doesn't make sens that 38kms would leave me with fumes. Hopefully someone got some video of the brutal A loop.
That is strange. I only used half a tank on 3 laps of the B loop and my my bike did spend some time on its side/upside down. I have no idea what the A loop was like so probably not the best comparison.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Yeah something definitely wasn't right.

The A loop was very different than the B loop. I was either chugging first or second the whole way through. Very slow going. Lots of gnarly rooted uphills too.

I broke my fan switch in my second crash and steamed over multiple times after that. Now that I think about it, I recall hearing a bubbling sound when I got stuck on one of the hills. I presumed this was related to boiling coolant, but maybe it was fuel?

I miss the B classes. :crybaby: If I do poorly enough, can I come back?
-Jared
#44b

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

cerealkiller wrote:Yeah something definitely wasn't right.

The A loop was very different than the B loop. I was either chugging first or second the whole way through. Very slow going. Lots of gnarly rooted uphills too.

I broke my fan switch in my second crash and steamed over multiple times after that. Now that I think about it, I recall hearing a bubbling sound when I got stuck on one of the hills. I presumed this was related to boiling coolant, but maybe it was fuel?

I miss the B classes. :crybaby: If I do poorly enough, can I come back?
That happened to me on a WR450 once. That rumbling...is fuel boiling! Kinda concerning. :crazy:

Congratulations to Gideon Richter on 1st INT, good job Gid! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

That dude was flying, he would have bumped Lexi off the podium in expert!!

Jared considering how challenging the second loop sounded it looks like you did pretty well for your first race in the A's.

I really enjoyed that race, but it was definitely getting greasy on the third lap, lots of the roots were gleaming white with all the bark being burned off.

Tim B and I passed each other three or so times, each never getting out of site of the other, was great fun.
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Here's the highlights:

I only captured a small part of the second loop because my camera fell off. None of the gnarly stuff.
-Jared
#44b

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

Looks like the other rider took you out pretty good, that's something that has me thinking twice about trying a hare scramble or XC race, dozens of other amped up, red misting riders wanting to occupy the same space as me at the same time...

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I admit equal responsibility for that crash. I knew he was there. He'd been chasing me for 15 minutes or so, catching up, then fading back. At that point he was right on my tail and when we went over the log and I bobbled, he tried to drag race me for the lead. I twisted the throttle and tried to squeeze him off, he did the same to me. We just happened to tangle bars and it didn't work out for either of us.

I wouldn't let that instance stop you from racing. There was plenty of room for me to give way if I wanted to avoid the contact.
-Jared
#44b

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vwrally »

I see, good to know the context. From the video it looks like he came out of nowhere and took you out with a vengeance, lol