Raceday Nutrition

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Raceday Nutrition

Post by Fenel854 »

What is everyone eating on race day and the day before? Usually we are camping which adds a bit more of difficulty to the meal planning. Looking for ideas on the day before as well as breakfast & lunch on race day. Do you even eat lunch? We seem to be out on the trails at lunch time and I am not sure it's a good idea to eat right before getting to the starting line. Thanks.
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Raceday Nutrition

Post by cerealkiller »

On race day I start with an americano with cream, sausage McMuffin and hashbrown for breakfast. Snickers for pre-race energy and beer immediately following the event. This my championship-winning diet regime.
-Jared
#44b

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

In theory you should be trying "meal plans" well before the race to see what works for you (where you peak, where your depleted) during your normal rides.

Soooo....try carb loading in the morning so that you have a few hours to digest, add some protein source into this (shouldn't be hard for breakfast).

Before the race have a snack, you should also be drinking water throughout the morning (honestly we should be drinking tons all the time), toss in some electrolytes (coconut water, gatorade, buy some powder)

During the race if you think you'll need a snack, pack something small with higher fat/carb/protein amounts.
You could even toss BCAA's into your camel back.

Thats an extremely basic outline, but not a bad place to start. :thumbsup:
Last edited by SpecialK on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Make a effort 4 days before the race to drink lots of water upto the race. I find hydration is the biggest issue during the race so I want to start with a saturated body. Clear pee is a good sign. I don't have any carb or protien regiment, I just eat what I normally do with larger servings, then again I don't win any races :blush:
#Z3B

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

J-rad bring me an extra beer on Sat. :thumbsup: :cheers:
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

You wanna try out the diet of champions? Couldn't hurt your results right? :smirk:
-Jared
#44b

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

by carb loading i did mean...eat real food
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Oh :blush:
Bikeless....

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

It can be a bit trial and error to find the right mix for your body. I find I do better on high protein diets leading up to the event and the morning of. I try and avoid bread and white pasta as a carb and use fruit/vegetables or oats and nuts to get my carb quota. I do eat protein bars at the riders meeting and drink protein and carb shakes before a big event. I do like the carb gels on long rides and will try to eat one every hour after 2hrs.

for electolytes, I have run eload in the past. It works better than a gatorade and is more pure. I now use ryno power products (sponsor plug) and have been paying for them for a few years before approaching for a sponsorship. The electrolytes and carb fuel make a great race day combo. I also run a scoop of carbo fuel every night just before beginning the pedal home and I am amazed at the difference this stuff can make in you ride effort.

Bottom line is drink lots and eat a well balanced diet the entire week up to the event, not just the morning of. :thumbsup:

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

How do I carb load if my bike is fuel injected and doesn't have a carb??

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

W.F.O wrote:How do I carb load if my bike is fuel injected and doesn't have a carb??
You would likely need to eat my secret pre-race diet of snacking on small farm animals, head cheese and raw brussel sprouts. :D

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

W.F.O wrote:How do I carb load if my bike is fuel injected and doesn't have a carb??
suppositories. This is why I have stayed on the 2 stroke

W.F.O
Contributor
Contributor

Post by W.F.O »

Dobi wrote:
suppositories. This is why I have stayed on the 2 stroke
That's a fancy word! I had to google it. That's a pretty creative way to fast track your brussel sprouts! I think I'll stick to mainlining RedBull and Milka chocolate bars. Worked great for me in Austria!

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I like to snack on my competitors ego's. An example-Hey Dobi, just want to make sure you remember that race where I passed you 3 times, in the same spot. I've heard you can't fix stupid.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

:lol: I love this thread.

P.s Dobi, does the electrolyte powder come in "no-flavour" form?
I have x-tend (insert joke here) Bcaa powder with electrolytes from the days I was a heavy gym go-er, but I cannot stand flavoured drinks in my camel back.
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250