cmrc shale shaker

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: cmrc shale shaker

Post by Grimlock »

Awesome race! I ended up passing a few guys on the first hill pile up but let a Junior by me afterwards that has almost as good of talent for hitting trees as I do (I was passed by cerealkiller while I was stuck behind him). :lol: Once I got by him again I ended up taking a really bad line through what I thought was an easy pass on another Junior only to get stuck between two logs and get passed by two other riders. That was it for screw ups until I hit the muskeg. :lol:

I managed to carefully pick my lines through the 'skeg for most of the length of it (got stuck once but nothing major) until I missed a turn and ended up buried up to my waist in 'skeg soup. After basically losing my mind in a screaming fit of profanity a fellow rider came to my aid (I believe he is a member here) and helped me extract my machine from the mess. :lol: Made it to the check point with time to spare only to realize my goggles were filled with muskeg and thus rendered useless. After sandblasting my eyeballs on the quad trail after the check and having one of the CO's foolishly ride his kwad the wrong way up a marked race course on a blind corner, narrowly avoiding wearing me and my Beta as a hat, I somehow managed to ride off the course on a sidehill section. After another fit of screaming profanity I waved the rider by that came to my aid in the muskeg and got to work lifting my machine back up onto the course. I was lucky enough to get help from another guy (not sure if he was a sweeper or just a dude out for a ride) to push my bike the last few feet up onto the trail. At this point I was completely physically and mentally fried so when something in the front end of my machine began to clunk I made the genius decision to 'ride it out'. That decision got me as far as a downhill rocky section with a bit of sidehill where the bar riser bolts backed out and one riser came completely off the top clamp. Somehow the machine fell into the hill when I panicked and grabbed a handful of brake instead of sending me down the hill to certain death. :lol: Broke out the tools only to find I did not have an 8mm allen key to tighten the riser bolts properly. I managed to do my best with what I had and pressed on. During this delay I miraculously was only passed by one 30B rider. Judging by the screams of anger and profanity I heard when he stalled on a rocky climb up the trail from where I was performing repairs, his race was going quite well.

Once on my way again, things were going quite well considering the chaos of the previous part of the race. I only managed to go head first over the bars once in the rocks. I noticed the clunking in the front end of my machine returning and was wondering if stopping to pray would keep the bars from divorcing my top clamp for the second time. I continued the descent into the trees when I came upon a Ladies A rider who had lost the pin holding the clevis to the rear brake lever. :crazy: Luckily she was being aided by the same rider that had helped me extract my machine from the muskeg who also happened to have an 8mm allen key! I again tightened my bar risers and set on to the finish with him in front of me.

All the while I had somehow got it in my head that I had passed Braap791 on the first hill pile up and he hadn't passed me back. I was ecstatic as this would probably be my one and only chance to finish ahead of him without pushing him off his bike at the start and stealing his spark plug. Needless to say I was greeted at the finish by the second place finishing 40B rider, his oldest son and Braap791. Since only one of the trio was still wearing gear, I assumed the other two had been there quite some time. Guess I'll have to resort to harsher tactics after all. :lol:

All in all, a great race. Didn't do as well as I had hoped but considering how this race went last season, I can say I can accept the result of 10th.

Oh, and if the dude that came to my aid reads this (he was on a Husqvarna 350), I owe you beer. If I don't see you at Vega on Saturday, I will hopefully catch you at the Dirty Moose. :cheers:
#826A

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

nice commentary on that one :thumbsup:

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Hahaha. Loved reading the story Grimlock. I was the guy who helped you through the skeg and had the tools. That race kicked my but hard. Couple bad line choices and a couple of pretty hard falls. By the time I got to the skeg section I had decided that since I wasnt getting any race points I might as well go for some karma points instead. Hope to see you out at The Dirty Moose this weekend, hopefully with better results for both of us.
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W