cmrc shale shaker

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
blackchrome
User
User

cmrc shale shaker

Post by blackchrome »

anyone got info on the race this weekend, would like to go and give it a try.

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: cmrc shale shaker

Post by twotired »

Race Poster;
Attachments
4103550_orig.png

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

*Edit: looks like twotired and I were posting at the same time, so I'll delete the poster from my post.*

It's got a reputation as a tough race, but it is also very unique. The terrain is rocky and challenging.

Last year they ran a harescramble on Saturday and an XC on Sunday. Here's some video from last year's harescramble:
-Jared
#44b

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

In case that wasn't enough, there's also part II:

-Jared
#44b

Grimlock
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Grimlock »

Awesome race in an awesome area.

It is tough. Probably the toughest in Alberta if not Western Canada. I finished in 5 hours and 18 minutes in 2013 and DNF'ed last year due to the thermostat housing on my machine blowing apart.

It has become my favorite race of the season with the Racehorse Creek race an extremely close second. I was extremely happy to see it remain on the schedule after rumors of it being axed after last year's CXCC weekend.

It is a race that is more about finishing than winning. If you can finish it is truly something you can be proud of!
#826A

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

well i'am always up for a challange so will see if all the winter training and spring conditioning has paid off.

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Grimlock wrote:Awesome race in an awesome area.

It is tough. Probably the toughest in Alberta if not Western Canada. I finished in 5 hours and 18 minutes in 2013 and DNF'ed last year due to the thermostat housing on my machine blowing apart.

It has become my favorite race of the season with the Racehorse Creek race an extremely close second. I was extremely happy to see it remain on the schedule after rumors of it being axed after last year's CXCC weekend.

It is a race that is more about finishing than winning. If you can finish it is truly something you can be proud of!
Bite your tongue!
Dirtymoose is the best race, ever, in the history of mankind.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Oh yeah, the Dirty Moose is the best race by far! :smirk: :D

This years Shale Shaker was awesome though. Sean and his crew did a fantastic job with the logistics and the course selection and flagging in this remote mountainous location.

I did feel harassed by the Conservation Officers that attended the riders meeting. They stood there menacing with their guns and tried to intimidate us. I really don't agree with my tax dollars being spent to watch an organized event where the event organizers have to follow many rules just to get the permit. They don't need to scrutinize us like that while ignoring the other blatant rule breakers that are not taking part of the organized event. They were even on the race course with their quads and at the checkpoints for what could only be ridiculous reasons other than to harass the organizers and the participants. I'm sure our volunteers at the checkpoints won't want to continue to volunteer if the COs continue to harass. It is a tough enough job without the extra pressure from the authorities. Our community of racers is very important and has a huge positive impact on society that I won't even start to get into.

:soapbox:

blackchrome
User
User

Post by blackchrome »

dirtyboy wrote:Oh yeah, the Dirty Moose is the best race by far! :smirk: :D

This years Shale Shaker was awesome though. Sean and his crew did a fantastic job with the logistics and the course selection and flagging in this remote mountainous location.

I did feel harassed by the Conservation Officers that attended the riders meeting. They stood there menacing with their guns and tried to intimidate us. I really don't agree with my tax dollars being spent to watch an organized event where the event organizers have to follow many rules just to get the permit. They don't need to scrutinize us like that while ignoring the other blatant rule breakers that are not taking part of the organized event. They were even on the race course with their quads and at the checkpoints for what could only be ridiculous reasons other than to harass the organizers and the participants. I'm sure our volunteers at the checkpoints won't want to continue to volunteer if the COs continue to harass. It is a tough enough job without the extra pressure from the authorities. Our community of racers is very important and has a huge positive impact on society that I won't even start to get into.

:soapbox:
I agree loved the hill climbs but not so much love for the muddy and very rutted quad section got very stuck twice and took a good wile to get out. Missed the 1st fuel up checkpoint by 30min late (spent that in the mud) but all in all happy for my first cmrc race and will defiantly be there next year.

the co's were a little more like bylaw officers (the laws bend to what they think is right) being i didn't make the cut i got stuck at the check point and had little options on how to get back to camp and we had to get hauled back in trucks (thanks to all the drivers that came and picked us up) so i don't know what the solution is to this but hopefully there can be a collective solution made.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

That was a fun race and a beautiful place to ride. It was relentless though. There were few relaxing ridge sections this year where you could catch your breath. That mud section required some patience and forethought to get through cleanly too.
-Jared
#44b

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Last place start, armpump, trail riding at the back of the pack. Felt something banging on my legs.... water. Stopped to collect my belongings regear and off. Top of the first ridge a horde of 50+ went by. All the way down the other side I watched 50+ repeatedly on the ground, smiled at the amount of energy I was conserving for the ALOOP. ... somewhere near the bottom was a log jump over a ditch with someone stuck... I pride myself on good line choices and instantly found a line that got me stuck even better... as I was extricating myself 787 went by, surprised to see me, gave the "wave on" to his "you ok?" query. Caught up to 787 on the long quad trail and successfully navigated first few pits... then I was looking a head at Dirtyboy bike parked sideways on a hill as he helped haul out JBaders bike. As I was processing this I tried to rail a "nice puddle" edge. Quickly on the revlimiter going sideways sinking slowing and falling. Left foot down into nothingness, the "oh no" as I submerged myself into the foulest smelling sludge I've had the pleasure of swimming in.
Out just in time to hear a two stroke wind up and die on the other side of the bushes. Hear 787 say "I'm gonna need some help". Go over get him out. I am a walking cesspit, sludge inside my goggles, my underwear, my armpits, between my toes. Ride on only to make another wise choice and pick a seat deep rut... 787 appears and grabs my front wheel. Rode on to checkpoint getting more and more unnerved by not having goggles on and by checkpoint my brain said "dude your eyes arn't worth it".
Lovely ride back to camp with a lovely lady from RMDRA and a hurtin' dude.
End of story.

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

cerealkiller wrote:That was a fun race and a beautiful place to ride. It was relentless though. There were few relaxing ridge sections this year where you could catch your breath. That mud section required some patience and forethought to get through cleanly too.
Agreed. I spent 10 minutes stuck in a very deep mud hole. Big thanks to the person that helped me get the bike out.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

thirtyseven, that sounds like a poor day and a good decision. I was lucky enough to pick the side lines in the mud and get through pretty well. The worst for me was going through on the edges and getting huge mud slaps on the goggles from the branches. Few stops to clean those off.

Here is the first 15 minutes of my race. I made some bone head mistakes, slowed up some girls (sorry Ms. Turner) and thought I was a radio announcer like thirtyseven (not so much). There was something happening pretty much the whole way so I thought I would upload the whole start. My GoPro battery lasted until the end of the race. :thumbsup:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Nice job on the big hill :thumbsup:
-Jared
#44b

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I saw hendrix with a dejected look on his face in there Dirty boy!