Porkies Report

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Porkies Report

Post by boland »

twotired wrote:There is a mandatory advancement points structure in place, see the rule book. If you gain more advancement points than threshold points you must move up. Too bad if you're DFL, you are no longer eligible to race that class. This only applies to one individual in 40B right now. I'm not sure why anyone would race another year in the B class, that's not very sportsmanlike. I'm thinking that the competition committee will move this individual to the A class soon because he doesn't appear to have the testicular fortitude to take the leap on his own. :eek:
These comments are uncalled for. Especially when the the person you are trying to single out is a respected member of this club who volunteers countless hours to RMDRA projects.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

:nopity:
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

twotired wrote:There is a mandatory advancement points structure in place, see the rule book. If you gain more advancement points than threshold points you must move up. Too bad if you're DFL, you are no longer eligible to race that class. This only applies to one individual in 40B right now. I'm not sure why anyone would race another year in the B class, that's not very sportsmanlike. I'm thinking that the competition committee will move this individual to the A class soon because he doesn't appear to have the testicular fortitude to take the leap on his own. :eek:
If you have a problem with it complain to the competition committee at the next race dont hide behind a keyboard.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I wasn't aware it was optional.... sort of. I guess you could "throw" a race to intentionally miss the advancement points, but that would be super un-cool. I was thrilled to get my letter to go to A, there was a ton of blood, sweat, and tears that went into it.

Not taking the advancement to hang back and win? D-bag at any level if you ask me.

Shoot, I just realized I'm late for my grade school 3-legged race final, I gotta go....

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Again, before this gets too out of hand, I was simply asking the more experienced if points advancement was mandatory for my own curiosity. I don't know the individuals in question and to be honest don't really care too much, for me its the difference between 13th or 14th place. :cheers:
Bikeless....

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

I agree, that's pretty harsh TT.

I don't recall him ever sand bagging a race for any reason. I do recall a few of us talking last year about how great the 40B class is and how it is an "any given Sunday" type of class as anyone could take any given race. From battling it out on the course with familiar faces to hanging out at the campfire, we all talked about how we want to stay in 40B because we where having so much fun. But in the end, we all endeavor to be better and that's why we race. I don't feel the success of one rider deters from that nor my overall experience.

I think it is great to see a fellow rider progress and grow. I guess its natural to get to that point where you could be an 'A' or a 'B'. At this point the decision is probably not that clear, and then you progress a little more, win more and it starts to become a little more clear. Then you get bumped.

Don't worry, the 40B guys are pretty social and the guys that came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fully let him now around the campfire of the sand-bagging SOB we think he is! :smirk:

I say ride it out in 'B'. Enjoy the podium. Enjoy the wins because next year he will be bumped.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

My intention wasn't to be harsh, Just bad humour :D It happens at all levels of racing, from pee wee classes on up. I guess for me personally, It's something I couldn't or wouldn't do. There's always someone faster, regardless of what class you're in.

I do fully understand the fun that comes with racing the same group, and I could agree that as it gets more competitive some of the good natured fun seems to get lost. Not all bad though, as riding with faster people is an eye opener for techniques and lines. Plus coming to hills that aren't littered with bikes and bodies is always nice :thinking:

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

This is an interesting conversation. Before moving I was thinking about racing a bit again this year, but was torn on what class to race, 40B or 40A. All my regular riding crew is in A (or were until they moved to 50+) and all would have won 40B at Porkies. I'm on the slower end of my regular crew and have never won a race (mostly due to stupity). What would people say if I raced 40B? Particularly curious to know what the fist thought of people who know me would be if I showed up beside them on a 40B start line?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Scott, if you pulled up next to me in 40B, I would simply point out that you left your truck door open and offer to hold your bike while you ran over to close it. Then I would steal the master link from your chain ..... and the chain.

Then I might be able to beat you to the first turn.

:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

If they knew who you were they wouldn't be worried to see you on the starting line. It's when they meet you head on along the trail 10km in that they need to be worried....

And I agree with AJRJ. The benefit of moving to "A" is a much longer course, quite often a different course than the "B" loop and the benefit of not having bottle necks to deal with.

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

I never called anyone a sandbagger and didn't mean to insult any volunteers or genuine good guys. My comments are regarding the fact that there is one individual who had a great year in 40B last year and pointed out through the advancement point structure in place.This racer has raced both of this year's races again in 40B and won even though he is not eligible to race this class. There was only one guy who had more advancement points than threshold points. There were others who gained advancement points but did not surpass their threshold points so they are eligible to race this class again and they should be going for wins this year. :cheers:

I guess the answer to your origional question erniebearskin is...No, the rules are not followed. :excuse:

Braap791
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Braap791 »

I vote this one gets locked up sooner rather than later. :cheers:

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Braap791 wrote:I vote this one gets locked up sooner rather than later. :cheers:
It's a good conversation, that probably needs some discussion. It is how the racing series is supposed to work. In the US, with a much larger rider base, they have many more classes to better define the skill levels, here not so much. Once you're in the age classes there is nowhere to go.

FWIW, this issue does come up at the Competition Committee meeting. And in some cases faster guys have the issue too. They don't feel great beating guys who are much slower. Speaking of some pro level riders who are eligible for age classes, definitely not myself. :D Part of the reason the new Expert class was created, as a place for high level competition between "AA" level riders.

If we can get 200 riders out to races, we can start to fix the spread of abilities with more classes. But hanging back to score high is, I think, the 3rd oldest job in the modern world. :smirk:

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

This is not a new dilemma, it happens often. I remember almost the exact scenario 5 or 6 years ago and the racer was told to move up by the competition committee after winning the first two races the year after he won the championship and pointed out.

I remember another year one rider raced the full year in the B class after a year that he pointed out without winning the championship (...or did he win it?..I don't remember..#24 Vet Junior :thinking: ),the second year he did win the championship. It seems that there is some discretion used by the competition committee depending on the scenario (which is mentioned in the rule book).

When 37 won the 40B championship he teased me for several months that he wasn't moving to the A class where he wouldn't be competitive. Opening race next season there was an A on his number plate. :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago 787 won the 40B championship and was somewhat deflated looking ahead to the next season because he really enjoyed the racing and being able to finish at the front of his class on his best days. The A class really didn't hold the same possibilities.

A guy that I raced with in 2012 told me that he was done racing because he would point out at the end of the year and he wasn't going to move to A and finish last. He hasn't been back since.

Most guys would like to remain in the B class for the next to defend the year after winning the championship . Maybe this should be evaluated for next year in the 30/40 vet classes? Defending against the same group of guys seems to be a popular idea with many. Maybe this should go in the rulebook... :excuse:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

350Scott is not only a sandbagger, he has a case book full of social, mental and physical disorders. Makes questionable decisions and passes gas at the dinner table. "Antisocial"? More like a ticking time bomb. .., like the bikes he owns.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS