Porkies Report

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Porkies Report

Post by thirtyseven »

This race course was awesome. First off the conditions were PRIMO!!! Just a speck of dust on some sections, excellent traction everywhere and just enough moisture to make roots interesting on some side hill. Flagging was excellent, one off course excursion following young Mr Wilton who figured that we had missed a turn first (I was just trying to stay on two wheels at his pace).
The course itself was an excellent mix of fast stuff with some technical climbs and descents. I had the pleasure of mixing it up with some great riders and had some excellent back and forth a great laugh. Clipped a couple of trees about 10 km into the 2nd loop, wound up bear hugging a tree and hurt all over. Twisted my gimp knee at the same time and it stung for quite a while. All this made me go into lala mode, fortunately dirty boy caught me with about 1/3 of the loop left. This refocused me and because he was riding so smooth and fast I latched onto him and followed him home. Even followed his lines, the best one being the base of a crooked tree used as a launch pad up some rocky ledges. I was right behind and even though the line wasn't the straighten it was just so awesome to watch had to try it myself.
Overall the most fun I've had racing in a long time.
The FX was made for that course. So effortless to turn and keep momentum, found it a little more difficult to gain speed on the open lumpy climbs through those fields, by the second loop just concentrated first on finding a smooth line THEN accelerating. Bike was on the ground 4 times. One rad shroud destroyed (more money for miss cycle works, happy Birthday day, BTW) each time it started immediately, screwed up a technical uphill and couldn't shift down (because my legs were flailing about two feet behind the bike with my belly on the seat) held it WOT and abused the clutch for what seemed like a minute. No hint of steam!!!!!

This race was an absolute BLAST!

How was yours?
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Porkies Report

Post by boland »

Did you have your camera on?
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Great report Howard, it was a very well set up course :thumbsup:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

boland wrote:Did you have your camera on?
No, I decided to wear my new helmet (the one without duct tape.... yet) and the night before couldn't figure out how to get the camera on it. The new go pro sucks for racing anyway. Battery life is a shade over 45 minutes.
Congrats on the win!!!!

Excellent job as well Tim.

I was thinking no one else enjoyed this race from the lack of response. I thought it was excellent.

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Love your race report. I haven't had time to sit and type out a race repot yet.
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

SpecialK
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by SpecialK »

thirtyseven wrote:
boland wrote:Did you have your camera on?
No, I decided to wear my new helmet (the one without duct tape.... yet) and the night before couldn't figure out how to get the camera on it. The new go pro sucks for racing anyway. Battery life is a shade over 45 minutes.
Congrats on the win!!!!

Excellent job as well Tim.

I was thinking no one else enjoyed this race from the lack of response. I thought it was excellent.
I don't recommend putting it on top of your head.... :nopity: great way to strain your neck and lose the camera. :banghead:

p.s. I just noticed there are more smilies! :jump:
2016 KTM 250 XC-F #92

2009 KTM 250 XCW
2006 KX 250

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Great race for me :applause: I didn't do too well but thought it was flagged and organized very well (even though I got lost a couple times) Lots of great people, lots of fun. Thanks to everyone who helped. I look forward to the next one. :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

The race was awesome! What a difference from last week. Like Shelby said in her podium speech it was good that it worked out this way because it was way more fun in perfect conditions than it would have been in the mud.

This was my first race on the FX and what an amazing bike. I'm seriously jonesing for more just thinking about it. Great suspension and the engine is so good, fast revving and so much fun to ride. On the down side I messed up the start/first corner and I crashed 4 or 5 times during the race, including going over the bars twice on the steep downhills. There was a bit of rust there but the last time that I raced was the 2012 Crowsnest XC so I guess that's not too bad.

I made a quick video last night of some of the helmet cam footage from the first part of the race. I didn't get to post it today because I spent 14 hours getting to where I currently am-the Louisiana Bayou where tomorrow I will get my hands on the first airplane of our new model, the Boeing 767. :applause:

When I left home this morning the video was still uploading to YouTube, but I see it was successful so here's a little bit of helmet cam footage from the 2015 Porkies XC. :canada:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Cool video. :thumbsup: Surprising how many people were littered all over that first modestly steep hill. I can only imagine the scene if it had been wet.
-Jared
#44b

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I keep getting this video is not available. :(

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I like the sound of the Yamaha! And the comments you make when your roosted on that jagged quad trail. :smirk:

Looks like you were riding the Yamaha like a boss! Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Now I'm jealous, I'm going to have to make a quick video edit. :D

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here's the first part.

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Awesome videos. Looks like it was great conditions.

Twotired, was that a Wild West inspired "H'yaaa" at 1:32
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Not sure about your starting technique, but you've got tree-slapping aggression. Good line choices too. Nice riding :thumbsup:
-Jared
#44b

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

Looks like conditions were epic. Looking forward to part deux DB

Super bummed to miss this race. Nice job everyone.