2014 Vega H/S July 26, 27. Course information and Directons

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
sydor555
Contributor
Contributor

2014 Vega H/S July 26, 27. Course information and Directons

Post by sydor555 »

Vega 2014 Poster 50% small.jpg
A big Thank you to our sponsors who really facilitate this event happening.

RPM Powersports, Riderz, Riverside Motorsports, CJ Campbell Insurance, and ATV World.

Also thanks to Wendy from Kaptive 8 Photography for this years event photo, and to Levi Ellis for keeping all the racers safe through creation and implementation of the safety plan for this event.

Directions;
Same staging area as last year so if you were there and remember stop reading now. Otherwise here is a link to a map of the area.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Unname ... 8a9367a962

Firstly the race site itself is not in the town of Vega AB. so don't go there please. These directions are quite specific but I don't want anyone new to get lost. I was once new and lost at 0300 Saturday morning and it sucks.

1. If coming from the south the first thing to do is get to or near the town of Barrhead AB, it as you can see by the map is just shy of the junction of HWY 18 and HWY 33. If coming from western AB then it may be more prudent for you to go directly to Fort Assinibione. HWY 18 actually ends at the turn off to Barrhead when coming West from Westlock.

2. Anyway follow HWY 33 West towards Fort Assiniboine. When approaching from the East you will cross the Athabasca River just before the STOP sign where you will go right to enter Fort Assiniboine. On the left is Bear Hills Gas and liquor bar this is the closest place to fill up your Diesel pusher, and if you like drinks they sell booze there to.

3. From the STOP sign go right (North) into the town of Fort Assiniboine, please observe the speed limit of 30km/hr when in town. Half way through town on the left (2.5 blocks in, it's a small town) there is a small grocery store and another chance to buy booze, this is the last chance for these two essential products.

4. As you exit town follow the directions to "Klondike Ferry" along HWY 661, you will turn left onto 661 and go up a good sized hill as you exit the town, you will be going West then North by the top of the hill. The road through town turns to gravel just north of town, so if you run into gravel you missed the turn.

5. From the top of the hill it is 22km until 661 east turnoff to the Klondike Ferry. This is a freshly paved section that in previous years was gravel. Once it turns to from East to North you should look for the next right, it is just after a cemetery. There is signage stating Klondike Ferry and HWY 661. Turn right towards the "Klondike Ferry", If you zoom in on the map you can see that Northbound is RR45A. This corner will be flagged.

6. Follow 661 about 6-8km and watch for flagging. You will be going left into the staging area. If you hit the powerline (it is huge and 661 passes under it) you have gone too far. This is the best place to turn around your rig.

Can I take the Ferry after going through Vega and following HWY 769 through Nerlandia then HWY 661 through Vega ???

If you have just a truck or van or car with a very small (like 8-10' max) trailer then yes, going this route will save you about 15 minutes of driving. Otherwise go around, the entry and exit to the ferry is very steep and damage and/or getting stuck would be the result. If you are taking the Ferry allow extra travel time on race day as it can get busy, also take note that there are hours of operation and dude takes lunch and dinner breaks at 1130 and 1730 respectively (I think those times are correct).
More information on the ferry can be obtained through the following link
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1965.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Information can also be found on our facebook page, just search N.A.S.T.E.
Any other questions please e-mail me at sydor555@gmail.com. You can also call me @ 780-951-5486 or call Art Potter @ 780-778-5332.

Hope to see you all there, Tab….

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2014 Vega H/S July 26, 27. Course information and Direc

Post by thirtyseven »

This is always a great race!
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Awesome. It's nice to have working links! I wish all races had a google map link
-Jared
#44b

sydor555
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sydor555 »

cerealkiller wrote:
Awesome. It's nice to have working links! I wish all races had a google map link
Thanks for posting the links.....

PLEASE NOTE....THIS RACE IS NOT IN VEGA AB.

But it's close if you have trailer or are coming late it's best to go through Ft. Assinoboine, some get lost taking the ferry way and ferry closed for lunch and supper 1200 / 1800 for 30 minutes, and operates from 0630 to 2330.

Thanks, Tab

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Vega rules! :canada:

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Great video twotired! :thumbsup:
I'm all jazzed up to ride vega now. I raced there once like 10 years ago and it was fantastic. I'm expecting this race to be just as good.
-Jared
#44b

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Vega was one of my favorite races. The terrain is so different from what I normally ride. The NASTE folks do a great job hosting it. Easily worth the drive if even just to watch the barrel races.

I can't make it this year but if someone can GPS the course for me I would be very appreciative. I'd like to head up there to ride it a bit later in the summer.
The voices are back. Awesome!

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Brass wrote:Vega was one of my favorite races. The terrain is so different from what I normally ride. The NASTE folks do a great job hosting it. Easily worth the drive if even just to watch the barrel races.

I can't make it this year but if someone can GPS the course for me I would be very appreciative. I'd like to head up there to ride it a bit later in the summer.
I have the gps of the course from two years ago for you.

Barrel race;

sydor555
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sydor555 »

Awesome videos.

Thanks for posting.

Tab

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

Is the Barrel race just for fun before/after the event?
I plan to come out to this race, first time ever. I hear it is like Koocanusa fast open and sandy? Is this true? Maybe I should do a top end on the 150...

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

MarkyMark wrote:Is the Barrel race just for fun before/after the event?...
Yes the barrel race it a JFF event. You'll have a blast watching or taking part.
MarkyMark wrote:I hear it is like Koocanusa fast open and sandy? Is this true? Maybe I should do a top end on the 150...

The terrain is, IMO more sandy overall than Kook. If you're top end is suspect, don't risk it. Do it now and know that you won't have to worry about it. If there is any amount of rain, the sand gets very heavy and is hard for smaller bikes to get through. I melted the plastic muffler bracket on my 200 and I think a few others did the same on their bikes as well.

If you can get there early enough and since smaller displacement bikes are more sensitive, do a few runs to verify your jetting. I ran my normal Calgary jetting and I think I was a bit lean for the elevation there. Someone else can likely chime in but I think they may be at a lower elevation. But that is off topic and only my guessing.

Go, you'll have a blast!
:cheers:
The voices are back. Awesome!

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Brass wrote:The terrain is, IMO more sandy overall than Kook. If you're top end is suspect, don't risk it. Do it now and know that you won't have to worry about it. If there is any amount of rain, the sand gets very heavy and is hard for smaller bikes to get through. I melted the plastic muffler bracket on my 200 and I think a few others did the same on their bikes as well.

If you can get there early enough and since smaller displacement bikes are more sensitive, do a few runs to verify your jetting. I ran my normal Calgary jetting and I think I was a bit lean for the elevation there. Someone else can likely chime in but I think they may be at a lower elevation. But that is off topic and only my guessing.

Go, you'll have a blast!
:cheers:
Vega is 645 m / 2115 feet elevation. That compares to :
- 1047 m / 3430 feet in downtown Calgary
- 1083 m / 3550 feet at YYC
- 1300 m / 4260 feet at Bragg Creek
- 1446 m / 4750 feet at the (un)Paved Loop
- 1800 m / 5905 feet at the highest points in McLean Creek.

At 645m, the standard barometric pressure is 94 kPa (707 mmHg). This means that there is 93% of the oxygen available at sea level.
At 1446m, the standard barometric pressure is 86 kPa (645 mmHg). This means that there is 85% of the oxygen available at sea level.
At 1800m, the standard barometric pressure is 82 kPa (619 mmHg). This means that there is 81% of the oxygen available at sea level

Brass is bang on - your bike could be quite lean (and run VERY hot as a result) if your jetting is optimized for local higher altitude riding.

The good news is you and your bike will be getting an extra 15% oxygen (compared to what you are used to) so should both have more power. If you use the bike's power wisely, your extra power will be an advantage. Use it unwisely, and you'll just be tired quicker :smirk:

I don't think of Vega as similar to Kooc - totally different. Vega is SANDY and treed reasonably heavily - not open, not rocky, not dry, not arid like Koocanusa. Where trail is in the woods the ground is high organic "duff" that can be quite slippery when fresh and wet (ask me how I know :blush: )

The riding is VERY enjoyable, and the race is quite well done by a strong, committed team. They understand that 80% of the series is south of Red Deer, so work hard to make sure that riders who make the trek north enjoy themselves. They really appreciate the racers who make the investment to attend.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

MarkyMark
Writer
Writer

Post by MarkyMark »

Thank you for the feedback.
Finished the top end on Monday, did a good hard ride at McLean on Tuesday and will drive out Friday morning for this race.

I have the SmartCarb in my bike so jetting is always perfect :) I hope to finish this race, its a long long drive so hopefully I get enough rest before the race.