H/S and X/C race format

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

H/S and X/C race format

Post by Dobi »

A couple of questions for the experienced guys on here. I am wondering about the lap size of the races in Southern Alberta. I have limited fuel because of my Supercross sized tank and am wondering what they do for fuel stops in these races and am looking for approx. distances of the loops on H/S vs X/C. I know I need to buck up and spend the money on a new tank, but am still looking on Ebay for the perfect sale :blah: :blah:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi,

The organizers try to make it fun. I have not seen a race that could not be done by an MX bike with a stock tank.

The HS race is multiple laps from 5 - 25km.
The XC race is a sinlge lap of 1 or 2 loops usually from 25km to 40km or maybe more. Sometimes different classes have a bit different lap size. Sometimes the Junior and under classes do 1 loop and the intermediate and up classes have 2 differenet loops to do.

They always make a gas stop if the loop is too large. Put your gas can on a trailer and it will be transported for you to the gas stop.

The main advantage in Alberta races is so that you don't have to take the time to fill your tank. Don't worry about the tank for racing. You'll probably appreciate the large tank more for trail riding.

What bike do you ride and how big is the gas tank? Some guys with the 2 strokes and little tanks carry a small gas bottle. (MSR fuel bottle from MEC holds 1 litre)

:cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks Dirtboy for all the valuable info. This will be my first year racing so I want to be as best prepared as possible :blah:

I ride an '03 250SX and the tank size is around 8 liters I think. If you ask Dakota_c69 it is about 5 liters less than his tank holds. This is based on me borrowing 2.5 litres from him and us both just making it back to the truck (I ran out of gas for the 3rd time 100ft from the truck)

I am really glad he has a GPS this year as that adventure took years from my life :crybaby: :crybaby:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

One of our crew has a 200 SX with a 7 litre tank. He hasn't done any XC on it yet but I don't remember that he had to fill up at the Long Island HS last year. I'll ask him for you. You didn't mention how far your trip was.

I'd recommend checking the float level in the carb. If it is too high, you will loose lot's of gas out of the bowl overflow. Also, make sure that your bike isn't jetted too rich. Correct jetting means good power, and fuel economy. Usually the 2 strokes need to be leaned out from stock at the elevations that we ride at. West Sharples will be around 4,000 - 6,000 ft. :eek:

I would recommend getting one of those fuel bottles from MEC to carry for longer races until you really know how far you can go. You will not have a problem at any HS race including West Sharples if you fill up every 2 laps to start with. :thumbsup: There are always lot's of people around the gas stop willing to help out the riders fill up. Strangers offering to help me fill my bike too me by surprise the first few races. It's a good feeling. :dblthumb:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi, here are the comments I received about the gas tank sizes. :blah: :blah: :blah:
About the 200SX with 7 litre tank wrote:I have done some 4-5 hour trail rides without re-filling, and I suspect I could make a 40km loop. I would take a litre of emergency fuel with me the first time I tried it.
="About the 250SX"]The 250 is another story. We installed a 9.5 or 10 litre 200 exc tank on the 250SX and after a 3 hour ride at Koocanusa, he had less in it than I had in the 200SX with the stock tank. So I would say the 7.5 litre tank on a 250 SX would likely not make the 40 km if it was ridden aggressively.
Sounds like it might depend on the HS loop size and that the XC loop might be a problem. You may have to fill every lap if the lap size was approaching 25km. Good news is that if the lap size is that large you will only do 2 - 3 laps in the time allotted. After a HS or 2 you will have a much better idea of how far your bike will go. :cheers:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Thanks Dirtboy. I must have the old girl jetted pretty good because I am good for about a 4 hour trail ride with no worries. I have done a moderatley aggressive single track and open trail loop with mtnblue before and managed to get 60+km with about 1/2 litre to spare. I will pick up one of the 1 litre bottles just for safe keeping.

All else fails I can use it to start a signal fire if I get lost :bonk:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

Dobi i want a race report !! I'm thinking about doing a couple this year. I haven't got off my *ss to get my bike ready yet. Still skiing lots, 25 cms expected tonight. Good luck @ West Sharples.

Chuck

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

You should be fine at most races if you gas up each lap. What class do you plan to enter? Beginners , Juniors , Ladies and Vet Juniors ride 2hrs. at HS's and one loop 40-50km at CC's. Intermediates, Pros and Vet Masters ride 2.5 to 3 hrs at HS's and usually do 2 loops at the CC's. I used to ride a MX'er and as long as I filled up each lap or gas stop I was fine . Have you tried looking on ktmtalk.com, the best site for us KTM's riders

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

My 525 has a 8.5L tank. At my "race pace" (slow) :D my bike gets about 9km/L. I finished all HS's without filling up. At the Porky's HS Intermediates rode 2.5 hours and I was very close to going on reserve (aprox. 6.5L gas burnt).

On a sunday single track ride I get close to 60km before hitting reserve, then I am about 15km away from walking out. :crazy:
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Cladoo,
I have never raced before (2 years riding) so I checked off "Beginner" on my CMRC application. I am hoping that they don't drop me down into the kids category!! I wouldn't mind sandbagging it and actually winning a race before getting jumped up a level :attention:

I am a member over at KTMtalk (they should give you a membership when you buy your bike) :banana:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Dobi wrote:I have never raced before (2 years riding) so I checked off "Beginner" on my CMRC application. I am hoping that they don't drop me down into the kids category!! I wouldn't mind sandbagging it and actually winning a race before getting jumped up a level :attention:
Dobi,

The Beginner class is changed for this year. Just so you know, the beginner is just that and it doesn't qualify for a championship series. The Beginner class is meant to be a progressive class that allows new racers to try it out and then move into a competitive class (Junior).

The classes line up at the start and are started about a minute apart. At the back is Junior, Beginner, then Ladies. All of the classes are typically on the course all at the same time.

If you have been riding off road single track trails for 2 years you might want to consider signing up Junior. You probably won't be the slowest in the class.

I started in Vet Junior :cripple: but at my first few races I waited until my class had left the line, then I proceeded dead last. It is a very low stress way to race for the first few times and I still got points in the class. I didn't typically finish last with this technique.

It's a long race, so it's not won in the 1st 100 hundred meters but it can be lost in the 1st 100m.

I'm glad you are going to give it a try. It's a blast :banana:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Dobi,

If I ever get a good schedule from work and actually make it to some of these races I can let you steal some gas from me as you lap me.... :cripple:

Since the Race is out for next weekend, we should head down south and get some better riding in without all that snow! I'll bring the GPS and we can see what kind of fuel range you can get outta that thing!

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks for the info. i too was wondering the time/distance of these races.
Is there a 40+ category? in beginner :D ?
If not, than junior sounds right for me?
i ride a 2 stroke KTM300.
This will be my 3rd official trail season.
thanks
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Tom,

The +40 category is called Vet and there is 2 speeds available. Fast and Slow. Vet Junior, Vet Master. Vet Junior doesn't usually have too many entrants (up to 12).

There is also a SuperVet (+50) category that they often start with the Vet Juniors.

Welcome to the Vet Junior class. :cheers:

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Thanks dirtyboy(nice handle :banana: )

Do they (vet junior) race Sat or Sun or both?
Does Junior race Sat/Sun or both?

i work most Sat a.m.'s.

Thanks
Tom
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com