CMA / SGC 2014 Race Schedule

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

CMA / SGC 2014 Race Schedule

Post by erniebearskin »

Rhonda has the 2014 schedule up, looks like they added an XC in September which is cool. Has anyone raced this area in Rocky Mountain House before?

http://news.secondgearclub.com/2013/12/ ... endar.html
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: CMA / SGC 2014 Race Schedule

Post by cerealkiller »

The first off-road race I ever entered was near Rocky. It would be nice if it was the same area. Not sure where Marble Mountain is though... are there directions posted anywhere?
-Jared
#44b

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Race vets, I'm pondering novice or intermidiate in CMA this year.... I averaged mid pack in all of my CMA novice races in my 30B class last year and was kind of bummed I didnt get to try the bigger "A" loops.

It was also frustrating the huge skill range of guys (and gals) that entered as Novice, some of the racers would get wicked holeshots and then jam up the whole group on the first hill and every hill after (moto dudes), other guys seemed very quick for novice, only to confess later that they have been riding for 20 years but like to enter novice as they only race "a few times a year". One novice racer actually had an "Xtinction Extreme Enduro" participant t-shirt on last year at one of the races.....novice.....reallllllly?

Other than finishing at the back of the pack for the season, are there any other downsides to bumping myself up to intermediate? My biggest concern is: are most of the CMA "A" loops passable for a short, portly man of average riding abilities?

2014 will be my second season racing, and fifth season riding, so if it makes sense to stick in Novice another year trying to improve, Im cool with that as well! :thumbsup:

Any provided guidance would be appreciated!
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Bryan, stay in 30B. Then we can go head-to-head at Coulee Springs :D
-Jared
#44b

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I'll stay in 30B for CMRC as I have absolutely no business moving up, this is for CMA (which Coulee Springs race will be). They have sportsmen, super sportsmen, novice, intermediate expert and pro and the vet, super vet and vet experts classes. Mitch was possibly talking a vet jr class but not sure if that is happening.

So you'll be in the same boat Jared need to figure out Novice or Intermediate for the CMA Races.
Bikeless....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Ah I see. Well, I haven't raced with the CMA yet so my opinion probably isn't worth much... but I'll provide it anyway. :lol:

Generally, I'd like to stay in a class as long as I'm able so I have at least some chance to win. Although there may be people who qualify for, but don't belong in the novice class, I imagine moving up a class isn't going to make it any easier to run at the front. My only real worry about running with a higher class is, once you make the move, you probably aren't allowed to go back if it doesn't work out.

In the CMRC racers are supposed to report and enter their highest class with any racing organization. Does the CMA not have a similar rule? Sounds like some aren't playing fair.

How do the classes compare in your opinion? Presuming its roughly like this, I would probably choose to enter the intermediate class (following the logic that I should enter the highest corresponding class in which I've raced in any organization):

CMRC vs. CMA
Beginner / Novice
Junior / Intermediate
Intermediate / Expert
Pro / Pro

If that's how it compares, then I reckon you wouldn't be out of place in the intermediate class either. :thumbsup:
-Jared
#44b