Crowsnest XC

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Crowsnest XC

Post by Bark »

I had an absolute blast at the Dirty Moose XC and am thinking to challenge myself again at the upcoming Crowsnest XC. I finished dead last but I finished and was super proud of myself for doing so.

I don't expect a guarantee on the answers to the following questions but I'd appreciate opinions nevertheless. I won't hold anyone to anything. For those who rode the Dirty Moose XC, can you offer a prediction on how much harder/easier/longer/shorter the Crowsnest XC 'typically' will be? Where does the race actually stage from?

Thanks,
Bark

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Crowsnest XC

Post by dirtyboy »

I think it depends what class you ride there. At crowsnest there are often 3 separate loops that some classes do 1, 2 or 3 loops of.

The loops are longer for sure.

The race stages West of the forestry trunk road about 20 km North of Coleman. Most people take the turn off the #22 at the Maycroft bridge if they are not pulling a big trailer.

The CNP race is one of my favourite races of the year and my first XC race back in 2002. :D

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

I wish I was home from work for this one!
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

I don't see a poster for this race on the ADRA sight. Is there a link to a map somewhere?

motodaddy

Post by motodaddy »

Does anyone know if this is a go? Haven't seen any poster for it.

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

motodaddy wrote:Does anyone know if this is a go? Haven't seen any poster for it.
They were flagging course on the weekend when I was down there. Go to www.aeracing.com and under special events there should be some directions.

motodaddy

Post by motodaddy »

Wow... I must be stunted, I can't find anything on their site?

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

To get to the race location, keep going south on hwy 40 (past "B") to the next road you can see on the west side. Turn on to this road (heads NW), about 20 minutes or so from memory to race site (you won't miss it - you'll see trailers and motorhomes all over the place along the sides of the road).

Most people coming from the north probably take hwy2 to hwy520 to hwy22.

NOTE: when you are driving south on hwy40, you'll see signs for "Racehorse Creek Campground" (or something like that). Keep going south past there on the 40 (that's the provincial recreation area, not the race site).

Cheers
Derek. :cheers:
Attachments
RaceHorse Creek Location1.JPG
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

motodaddy wrote:Wow... I must be stunted, I can't find anything on their site?
hey, A&E changed their website.....

I guess I should have looked at this first....

Crazy has good directions. If you are coming with a big trailer the way North from Coleman is a bit better, less gravel.

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

Thanks Derek. This will be my first time to one of Dave's Cross Country races I'm told that he likes to put on a challenging event.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The Devon road that you turn West on is between K18 and K19 markers on the Forestry Trunk road.

The race camp is approximately 11K on the Devon road.

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

so how much snow fell up there? man the mountains are white! :crazy:

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

Snow should make it even more challenging. The poster is up at the ADRA site. I see that they are giving trophies to all finishers. That sends a message right there.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

MotorEd wrote:so how much snow fell up there? man the mountains are white! :crazy:
When i left Sunday, the ground snow at camp had melted. Up high was white but i imagine wet and gone by now.
The area REALLY needed moisture so the snow/rain was a good thing. Now there will not be a fire ban :applause:
Weather looks good from Thursday thru Sunday.(as in no rain)

My directions.
Hwy #2 to Nanton.
Turn R at Hwy #533 after you pass thru Nanton.
This will take you to #22 (Chain Lakes entrance).
Turn L and go South to Maycroft. (you will see a big building with GAS advertised). You cross the Old Man River (bridge) and turn R. The gas station is now open and also sells beer and booze.

This road is a mix of asphalt and gravel. The asphalt sections suck compared to the gravel sections. This road ends at a Stop sign which is the 940 trunk road. Turn L.

Follow this road and you will pass by the Race Horse Creek Provincial campground (marked area is 40km/hr), keep going. This is not our area.

Now, you will come down a hill into a corner and you will see part of a bridge. SLOW DOWN as this is a blind corner and narrow bridge!!!!

Soon, you will start to climb. As you climb you will come to a road on your right side. You will see the back of a sign facing you (on that road) before you get to the road. Turn R into the road. This road will descend you into the valley about 11kms. This is the camping/racing area.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

rock93 wrote:...I see that they are giving trophies to all finishers. That sends a message right there.
I missed that...hmmm, interesting :thinking:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250