Sharples HS

Race Information, Race Questions and Discussion. Offroad news and discussion.
BackInAction
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Sharples HS

Post by BackInAction »

Sounds like regular springtime riding (i.e. fun and slick)!

I will be there if the race runs and also expect to be set up for camping by then as well so will be staying at least one night down there.

Will be spending as much time as I can, between now and then, getting my little scooter ready and getting out to slide around on all the snow, mud and ice as much as I can to hone the balance and feel for traction.

Looking forward to getting out and slinging some mud with all of you!
’07 Berg FE650E
'06 DRZ400S
Goals: Start a race in 2012;Roost Fryguy;Wheelie in 6th;Beer

DXL77
Writer
Writer

Post by DXL77 »

Dumb question from a new racer. Can you use studs in a race? I've wondered that for quite a while now. :thinking:
08 WR450 (mine)
08 PW 50 (daughter)

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

DXL77 wrote:Dumb question from a new racer. Can you use studs in a race? I've wondered that for quite a while now. :thinking:
No. Imagine wiping out in front of a dude that has a new set of trellies on! :crazy:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

What's the deal with the avatar DXL77 ??

Are you saying that the folks here are dumb? Perhaps you could use a more friendly avatar?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

steve-o wrote:No. Imagine wiping out in front of a dude that has a new set of trellies on! :crazy:
Been there, done that. Don't recommend it.

DXL77
Writer
Writer

Post by DXL77 »

That's what I thought, for the very reason that I have been run over by a set of studded tires. Thanks for the answer.
DB, the avatar refers to the people at work and the dumb things that I see over and over again. I'm sure noone here has taken offence or I would have heard about it by now. But for you I will change it immediately :D

Don
08 WR450 (mine)
08 PW 50 (daughter)

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

DXL77, I liked your avatar actually. If people took offense to it, I'd recommend something... :) DB must of had a case of the "Tuesdays". :smirk:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I wasn't offended by the old one , cause I see them too... , but Thirtyseven and I approve of the new one ! :applause: :D :thumbsup: WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I like the new avatar too! Any way thanks. I may have been having a "Tuesday" but I figured I'd ask about it. I guess it's better to have the old avatar than to wear a t-shirt with that slogan on the front to see your clients. :D

The old avatar isn't offensive, and I like the explanation. Feel free to use it if you like. :thumbsup:

BTW, Cedric's old avatar used to make me laugh. That one was way excellent even with the blood. :smirk: :applause:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

What is an AVATAR and how do I get one?
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

thirtyseven wrote:What is an AVATAR and how do I get one?
Thirtyseven, did ya ever see that 70's show where Kelso had to wear the "stoopid helmet"?? ;)

Maybe THAT's why you don't have an avatar! lol

(j/k, ya know I love ya just the way you are ;)
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Carter
User
User

Post by Carter »

I would also like to know what kind of course it is.

Thanks
08 250 XC - bye bye 4-strokes
08 250 XCF-w - sold
07 250 XCF-w - sold

06 YZ 250F - sold
04 DRZ400 - good riddence

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Carter wrote:I would also like to know what kind of course it is.

Thanks
Note sure what you mean by what "kind" of course, the the race style is a Hare Scramble. This is a loop, typically from about 10-15 km's long that you will rides multiple laps on for a specified length of time (generally 2 hrs).
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

you forgot to mention the mandatory "landing on your head manouver" that must be performed to specific standards which are rated on a bell curve to give simpletons and half-wits like crazy2wheeler a fighting chance. These must be completed twice per lap, if not done the penalty is disqualification or ten "Im an idiot" falls which are rated via the honour system by the rider. Bonus points are awarded for stunts like.... runing out of gas, driving of a cliff, bouncing ones head off an overhanging log twice during a race, or hitting the same boghole on subsequent laps(excluding the final lap when no rider shall be responsible for any of his actions). Points are deducted for "making it look to easy" (a subjective one that causes a lot of controversy), "riding a yamaha"(apperantly an unfair advantage), and "looking to good"(this is why I wear my 6yr old gear). There continues to be problems with unscrupulous promotors and organizers, usually smoothed over by items from "Duty Free" shops.

I usually try to void myself (of any negative thoughts) prior to the race and have found the results to be excellent. If I dont, around the 1:30 mark I find myself beside the course trying to get rid of the negative thoughts which is hard to do with noisy motorcyles racing by. This would be my recomended pre-race ritual. Others waste their time with pesky maintenance issues like tire pressure (overrated), safety wiring (only needed on KTMs) and something they call "lubrication"(again, overrated).

The comradery is of course, excellent. Kind words fly at loud volumes, pre-during-after the race. Nice words like "hey numbnuts where are my brake pads", to the truly funny "out of my way idiot" and the overused "get your bike off of me!" You will immediately get the sense that racers really are trying to help their buddies become better riders when you hear "Stop carrying your purse" or "There is no crying in baseball" echoing through the hills.

Food can be scarce when camping and your best bet is to buddy up with single guys so you can eat steak, steak and more steak. Stay away from the married guys, they are eating salad and burnt toast, and between chokes saying "this is great, honey"

These are just some scattered recollections from last yrs racing... stay tuned as my mind clears and I focus in on this yr, cant wait.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

You crack me up Howard! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Claude